Chronic Vaginal E Coli infections

Posted , 75 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So the last few times I was treated for BV (in the summer of 2014), it turns out once the cultures came back, that I had E Coli and not Gardnerella. It is chronic and goes away with antiboitoics, but comes back right away a few days after the antibiotics are through, especially after a period. I am taking 50 Billion probiotics, using apple cider vinegar down there to restore pH, etc. I have no new sex partners, have been married for 10 years, and he was tested and does not have E Coli. Has anyone strugged with E Coli infections? My doctor says that E Coli is another bacteria that is present everywhre, and when your pH in the vagina is off, it cannot fight off the normal bacteria and they flourish. All of my bloodwork has come back fine, except I just found out I have the beginning stages of cervical cancer. The doctor thinks this is all related, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. It's miserable and I'm tired of having infections. If you have any insight or experience to share, please do! Thank you! smile

0 likes, 143 replies

143 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's back. I haven't confirmed it, but ladies, we know when it's there. rolleyes Sigh. I'm still doing really well with the no wheat and processed sugar diet, but I have been eating fruit still. I'm going to continue this clean eating for another few months. I know it doesn't go away overnight. I'm still taking the 50 million probiotic, drinking warm lemon water in the morning, etc.

I wonder if I should give up coffee?

• Posted

You don't need to give up any food just use your CIPROTAB-TN tabs and your viginal gynocare tabs and you good to go

• Posted

Hi there,

Im sorry to hear that your infection has come back! Wondering how everything is going for you now? I was wondering if you could share the name of the antibiotic that the doctor prescribed for your vaginal e coli infection? And the dosage. I cannot find any information online on the antibiotics used to treat this condition. I am not looking to self medicate but i am trying to gather as much information on this as possible. I first started getting symptoms down there after having vaginal followed by anal sex (sorry if TMI), that is why i believe that it may be an e coli infection. Im not sure if they check for e coli in the vaginal swabs in the lab. Did you get diagnosed after your first vaginal swab or did you have to do further tests? My swabs came back negative for gardnerella and thrush and stds.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi paige2015,

I am still struggling with the infections. They are here whether I have sex or not, which really sucks. My doctor in the States put me on like 4 different types of antibiotics to treat it, all would "kill it" bit it'd come right back, as E Coli are really good at evolving and lingering. I think amoxicillan, keflex, etc. I haven't been on an antibiotic for it since December as I refuse to take them anymore.

It's so hard. My doctor found upon checking for bacteria that it was E Coli. I never thought that the first time, they found out when the labs came back a week later. I think you may need to ask for them to check for that sometimes. E Coli is naturally present in that area, but if it gets out of control, you have an infection. Yes, I was negative for all others as well. Only positive for E Coli. 

Things that help with symptoms (but don't cure it, for me at least):

*Boric Acid vaginal suppositories

*Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil vaginal suppositories

*Vaginal prebiotic or probiotic suppositories

*Bath with apple cider vinegar (raw unfiltered kind, cloudy, usually says from "the mother" on the bottle)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Posted

When u do urine tests please ask an antibiogram too to know what is the best antibiotic to kill the bacteria e coli
    • Posted

Hello Paige2015,

I also believe my issues started from the same reason. Have you had any luck?

• Posted

All of my problems started in the same fashion, first anal then vaginal sex. The 1st time i was tested, my swab came back positive for Gardnerella. I took antibiotics for 7 days & it went away. Then it came back 2 mths later & my swab came back positive for Gardnerella & yeast. I took 7 days of antibiotic & 2 days of antifungal (by mouth) & the symptoms improved but did not go away. Now i went in for a 3rd time in 2.5 mths & my initial vaginal swabs came back negative for gardnerella & yeast. So i'm still wondering if mine is E.Coli? Do you know if the symptoms are the same?

• Posted

Hi Marie...

I dont know if that could be of any help but try and search information on D-Mannose.

Get well!

• Posted

Hi! Ok, I will do that! Thank you for the suggestion! Mine is always vaginal and never in my urine. rolleyes

What is the other comment you made below? It's not showing up; says waiting for moderator or something. Can you private message it to me? Thanks! smile

• Posted

Talk to your doctor about making sure you are cured of this infection before doing a loop procedure or having any of our cervix shaved off! I too am struggling with bv but was never so frequent until after I had that procedure. Not too long ago I read that the bacteria is able to get deeper in the tissues or something when u have something like that done and is harder to get regulated afterwards. I also insert probiotics and acidipholus vaginally. Also take natural antifungals like garlic and oil of oregano. These things have helped me the most! This is such stressful stuff sad why can't someone just find a cure for us ladies.
    • Posted

Thank you! I will mention this to my doctor when we discuss my cervical precancerous cell issues...I get tested in a couple of weeks again to see if my cells have gotten any worse. 
    • Posted

Precancerous cells or Atypical Cells of Unknown Significance, typically are caused by Human Papilloma Virus HPV. Ask if you have  been tested for the strains of High Risk HPV and ask for the Culture and Sensitivity report for the E.coli culture, that will show you what the e.coli is sensitive to. You need to take a long enough course of the antibiotic
  • Posted

Have any of you all tried vitamin c as a suppository? There have been studies done on this and it apparently helps a lot. 250mg-500mg in your vagina every night for 6 nights. Then every few nights for that pesky infection that never goes away. Also right after sex. Use the white chalky kind. Be sure it's just vitamin c and make sure there is no sugar in it. Also it will burn a little if it's close to the labia. Vitamin c helps regulate the pH level in your vagina. Also less expensive and a natural remedy.
    • Posted

Interesting, has anyone else tried this? I am desparate to be free of this.
    • Posted

I have tried it and it does help. It doesn't cure it for me, I will get it back right away after stopping the Vitamin C's. And they do start to irriate me internally over time. They are nice to help with symptoms though...and smell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.