Chrons flare but normal test results?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, this is a long story but I’ll try and keep it brief!

I was diagnosed with severe chrons colitis in 2011 after a good two years of symptoms, starting with bloating and ending up with severe bloody diarrhea with mucous, erythema nodosum (on the soles of my feet at one stage!) Scleritis in one eye, joint inflammation...pretty much every symptom!

I was one of those who put off going to the doctor until I was half dead, I knew what it was (I’m a nurse) and was in huge denial. I was very unwell and (unsurprisingly) diagnosed straight away with my first colonoscopy and started on steroids the same day.

After trying and failing several treatments, including a clinical trial for stem cell therapy, I started in infliximab ( remicade) December 2012 and apart from needing to be reinduced about 6 months after I had started due to losing response, I haven’t looked back and have had 5 glorious years of deep remission.

Last year I had to have an unrelated surgery and as a result of some complications had my inflix 3 weeks late. Since then I have been having more joint pain, particularly my left ankle which in the last few weeks has swelled up, right iliac fossa pain, constipation and general fatigue and blahness. About a month ago I had such bad pain in the right iliac fossa I thought I may have appendicitis, followed by a few days of diarrhea.

I have a fantastic GI who sent me for bloods and a CT.  My CRP was 6 so nothing major, and CRP has always been elevated when I’m sick, and CT was normal.

My question is, is it possible to be having a flare?

I definitely feel like things are not right, I don’t have diarrhea but the joint pain, abdo pain, bloating and fatigue suggest something is going on?

Anyone else with similar experiences?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I suggest more tests something is going on. I have swollen ankle and leg it started last week, I am on Inflixmab infusions since Aug 2016.
    • Posted

thanks Stephany, I’ve always have trouble with arthralgia but the the only time I  have had swelling around the joint is when I was very unwell. If it wasn’t for that I’d almost think maybe it was more IBS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.