ciatlopram and lack of sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i have recently upped my dose and having difficulty sleeping. Does anyone have any tips?

I have bought some lavender oil to put on my pillow, but heard any herbal sleep remedies such as Valernia will mess up the meds, is this correct?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It can happen and these couple of tips may help!

I found sleeping the other way around (head where your feet would be etc) can help me sometimes change yer compass points! Also you could try a hop pillow. Get a small piece of some natural material like cotton fold over and you want a pillow about 20cm x 20cm and fill with fresh hops (you can try dried crush them slightly, but depends how old they are) also you could put something like lavender in with it to make it smell less bitter and beery!

With regards herbs altering or lessening the effects of "sticking plasters for the brain" ain't heard that one! However, someone will be along to put us straight on that!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hiya, valerian does react with Citalopram, it can make you feel worse, I was taking Kalms before citalopram, then took some with it and felt odd, then read about it. Prob should've read about it first!!! xx  I used diazapam (non herbal sorry) at the beginning (I've done 12 weeks at 10mg) which worked a treat xxx 
  • Posted

Have you tried relaxation music while ur trying to drift off sometimes works for me (well for a little will anyway)
  • Posted

yes, I would not mix any herbals with antidepressant drugs. I would make sure that you are getting plenty of excersize and no screen time at least an hour prior to bedtime.
    • Posted

i agree but since i started with antidepressants have not felt well enough to walk or exercise. I gave up smoking 1st Nov and started walking morning and night to help that and sleep problems and depression i think it helped.Then crashed fully and doc put me on Lexapro but mornings are still bad. When i start feeling better i will walk again. My body doesnt feel stable enough!
    • Posted

I also agree with the meditation comment...fall asleep to it every night and sleep soundly til srpund 5.30. X
  • Posted

Hi El

I have been researching drug interactions and it seems like any natural sleep aids can react. web site is drugs.com  Very good info i was taking Pnenergen to help me sleep, but was dizzy and lightheaded in and out of bed in mornings. You cant take St John s wort. Best to google it. I take a Temazepan every couple of days as they are addictive if every day. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.