CIC

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have doing CIC for 12 months, around 6 times a day. Now it has increased to around 8 times a day.Has anyone had this happen.?It seems like i get the urge every 3 hours.I asked my URO he says i don't know why?

frank,

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Prostatitis and uti's will do that. If I drink citrus drinks or lots of caffeine I'll need to cath more often. You can also train your bladder where you urinate more or less often. Certainly a URO should be able to help you figure out what's going on...if anything. Another thought here, any change in your meds? Good luck.

• Posted

I've done all the void logs many times, I have reduced my intake of fluids, only drink caffeine free drinks and have gone to the extreme and tried on several occasions to not drink  just to see if it makes a difference and from all this I still can't gauge how frequently I will need the loo and the doctors can offer no explanation . How do you explain needing the loo 3-4 times in 1 hr and on each occasion I used CIC basically emptying my bladder?

• Posted

Micky: How do you explain needing the loo 3-4 times in 1 hr and on each occasion I used CIC basically emptying my bladder?

---------------------

There can be several explanations. If you post or PM me a 24 hour void log, including both catherized and natural voids, I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you. Also do you know if you have any bladder abnormalities like a diverticulum? If you have one, it should have been noted on one of your bladder/kidney ultrasounds.

Jim

• Posted

Jim  Thanks for your offer but I have had my void logs assessed by different medical consultants and do not have any signs of deterioration of my bladder. The consultant believes prostate surgery will improve the symptoms I have 
    • Posted

Except you said the experts offered no explanation, only a solution, ie prostate surgery, which unfortunately isn't atypical. I wold want an explanation/diagnosis first! Your workup, including the logs should offer an explanation. Have they ruled out overactive bladder syndrome? Because if that's what you have then prostate surgery may not be the answer.

Jim

• Posted

Micky  Here is something to think about.  You say the consultant believes the prostate surgery will improve the symptoms.  But they don't know for sure.  It a gamble.  You can have the surgery and still end up with the same problem. and more  Doctors can tell you what they think will help but they never know until the surgery but by then it's to late and also if doctors can not find out what the problem is they assume it the prostate.   Be sure before you do anything  Ken  

• Posted

Hi Jim I have been on a journey now with Urology consultants for nearly 3 years trying to diagnose my problems. Over that time I have been requested to try different medications each time being told to try this and come back in 6 months. During this timevOveractive bladder had been ruled out . I had a 48 hr session in a medical centre tracking my water intake , flows and outputs along with number of times urinating to see if there was any psychological problems. During this period there were a number of unexplained but again it led to the final conclusion that only surgery would resolve this. I know you guys are trying to help but I feel in a dark place at the moment and feel my quality of life has suffered that much that selecting the appropriate surgery is my only option.
    • Posted

Micky we are all on here to help you with your problem.  That does not mean we don't want the best for you.  Now you need to look into a procedure not a surgery.  There is Urolift, FLA, PAE and Rezum which are the less evasive.  All procedure and surgery do the same make a tunnel and relieve the pressure of the bladder.  Please look into theses before you look into any of the others.  My urologist likes these procedure.  He does not do to many TURPS because he fell that is the last resort surgery.  There are to many to pick from that don't require you to have your prostate cut out.  Most of the time all that does is cause more problems and I don't think you want to deal with more problems  Take care  and Good luck Ken

• Posted

Thankyou for being so understanding and the help and advice I will certainly be looking at one on the options you have listed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.