CIC better sitting or standing

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sitting or standing doing CIC ,comments There are different ways of inserting a catheter,has anyone found a way that doesn't bleed or cause blood clots. I would like to know the way CIC is done correctly?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I guess that by CIC you mean clean intermittent self-catheterisation, and I guess from your username that you are male.

I have been doing this for many years, and have had no trouble. I had a few spots of blood in the first few days, but no problem thereafter. The process is simple and easy. I stand up, hold my penis slightly upward from the horizontal position, and insert the catheter, holding it by the end nozzle without letting my hands touch the part that is to be inserted. If the catheter is wet and lubricated, as it comes in its packaging, it slides in without problems or discomfort. I use SpeediCath 28412 straight "Nelaton" catheters, size CH12, 4mm.

I wonder whether you have a different type of catheter which is causing your problems, or whether you have an internal problem that needs to be investigated - an obstruction or growth in the urethra, prostate of bladder, or an injury caused by pushing the catheter in too far or in the wrong direction. Have you had any recent investigations or operations requiring instruments to be inserted which may have caused a minor injury?

If discomfort or bleeding continues, I certainly think you should go back to your doctor and get it checked.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Your reply is very interesting. I have a 116 gr enlarged prostate,what is your your size? I wonder if size is a reason for bladder clots and bleeding? My Uro started me on finesteride pills,his thought was this should stop the bleeding. Do you take medicine ?

frank,

• Posted

It seems that we have different reasons for using catheters. My prostate is normal (or was when it was last checked several years ago). I use catheters because my detrusor muscle, which surrounds the bladder and should push urine out, is no longer working. I don't take any medication. If your prostate is enlarged perhaps the passage through it is narrowed so that you cause damage when inserting catheters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.