CIC (self-cathing) and Swimming at the beach

Posted , 8 users are following.

I CIC 4 times a day and would like to go swimming at our local beach. But I have heard that this is unwise for those of us who CIC due to our being more susceptible to possible bacterial infections in the penis. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks. Howard

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's a good question, Howard!  I've been CIC-ing for 4 years now, 5 or 6 times a day, and have never heard that assertion.  I have also in that time swum in the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Mediterranean and various pools, public and private, and a lake and a river.  I've never had a UTI that was linked to any of those experiences (and none for 1 1/2 years).  I think careful prepping, as per SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) should keep you clean n safe.  

That said, I wouldn't swim in some waters (Thinking some areas of the Med, or in the Ganges River, or any river in China, etc. ), whether I did CIC or not!  eek

• Posted

sounds like BS - CIC, go to beach, and when you get home have a shower or a bath and as long as you clean everything why should you get an infection - if you do it at the beach yeh that sounds a bit risky.
  • Posted

No worries, Howard, from my experience. I swim all the time at my cabin's lake. By the way I also use the same catheter for weeks on end. Have done this now for going on three years. I rinse and clean it and store in a bottle of pure alcohol until next use. Rinse off alcohol and it's good to go. I cath six to eight times a day.

• Posted

Paul,

I've been contemplating using the same catheter but was concerned with UTI. I have only been using CIC for 6 months now and insurance will not cover it. I'm assuming you clean it with soap and water and then store it in alcohol? And then just rinse with water before using?

• Posted

Exactly. I store it in a bottle filled with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Rinse it in warm water, dip it in an appropriate lubricant for self-cathing (my urologist advised against KY jelly -- Muko lubricating jelly works), squirt a good soap onto a paper towel to clean myself (fill a spray bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap diluted in water for many many uses), do the deed, then wipe off self and, finally catheter with same paper towel. Rinse catheter outside and inside, put back in alcohol for next use. My urologist has a patient who has been using the same red rubber catheter for years. I use the throwaways until I want to.

throw it away. No problems now for three years. When I go to my cabin where I don't have running water, I add a bit of javel bleach to one bowl of water and do a double rinse after use, first the javel water then a bowl of pure water. I go from the alcohol to the pure water rinse when I use it in order not to introduce a trace of javel into myself. A couple of tablespoons of bleach in water makes it a disinfectant.

• Posted

Maybe twice a year. According to how I feel. My urologist agreed with me that 99% alcohol doesn't decrease in strength. Remember as well that it's not called sterile intermittent catherization, but clean ... It's also beneficial if possible to urinate what you can beforehand in order to keep bladder exercised. This is true of course even when disposing catheters every time.

• Posted

Where did you hear that? Actually those that CIC are LESS prone to possible bacterial infections than those with higher PVRs from BPH.  Have you ever heard that people with BPH shouldn't swim? I think your're conflating a couple of different concepts but in any event CIC is not a reason to stay off the beach although I personally wouldn't want to CIC on the beach. Too much sand!

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, Cartoonman, Paul and Mike-

Thanks for all your responses - sure made me laugh - we need a good joke once in a while in this business.

I had heard from a nurse once that CIC can sometimes cause small, unseen cuts/abrasions on the inside of the tip of the penis which being open "wounds" might let in otherwise benign bacteria that live in lakes and public pools - especially where nearby bathers may be relieving themselves! She said if I went I should wear a condom!

Anyway, that was where I heard this yarn and as usual it is the guys on this forum which keep us all tied to reality. So thanks - I will be heading to Lake Huron tomorrow if the rain holds off.

All the best to all of you.

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.