Cimzia vs simponi

Posted , 8 users are following.

Dr wants to change me from enbrel. Not any success w that medicine. Mentioning cimzia or simponi anyone have experience w either of those? Wants to continue methotrexate with on every of the two

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Try Remacade, it's an infusion and yes you still have to take methotrexate.  Remacade was a miracle drug for me.  Good luck!

• Posted

Everyone is different but I was on methotrexate injections..no good...but went on Cimzia with the methotrexate. Immediate..no pain...inflammation died down. But we are all different as I said. Good luck..Dave
  • Posted

Lots of improvement on Cimzia. Very little joint pain and the improvement was immediate. After 3 years I am experiencing some side effects but still no joint pain. 
    • Posted

what side effects are you experiencing if you don't mind sharing that info

I am still debating the biologic meds,  I guess I should consider myself fortunate that we can afford them since my spouse still works and his company has a good ins policy but i worry about side effects and starting it too soon.   Pain is not a huge issue for me/  more so fatigue/  not great sleeping at night but could be age related.   I can get by with low dose MTX now and Tylenol but you never know when it's just going to be too late.    I also have autoimmune bowel disease --crohns and vitiligo so 3 autoimmune conditions to be concerned about

• Posted

I get a bit of nausea in the mornings on Cimzia. Also my stomach has no lining, but thats 45 years of meds more like. My heart does pump well sometimes, not fast, but I can feel it through my diaphram. But...no pain or inflammation. One word of warning. Cimzia stops your immune system totally. Beware of people with colds etc!!

• Posted

I also have colitis (they are not certain whether it is ulcerative colitis or Crohn's). The side effects I am experiencing from Cimzia are very blocked sinuses (treated with steroid spray), patches of psoriasis (treated with steroid cream), problems with eyes (steroid drops) and skin on face has gone very blotchy in the sun. I say these are side effects of Cimzia...I suppose we can only assume they are...it is difficult to be certain! My doctor is considering a change to Humira because it is supposed to be better for the colitis situation. 

• Posted

Good luck Esther. We are all different. I can name you 20 different drugs I have tried in 45 years. Cimzia, for me, at the moment seems to work. I will let you know next year!
    • Posted

Humira was the first biologic choice for me b/c of the crohn's / arthritis together.  I did ask about cimzia as I see more people discuss that drug on here but GI doc said this would be a better fit.   Many of the antibiotics are not well tolerated by me so I do worry about infections.  Sinus infection was a problem for me many yrs ago and it did come every winter

but not in recent yrs

• Posted

If you read up on Cimzia they use it to treat Crohn's disease too. Could hit both at once!

• Posted

Esther, as I said I am on Cimzia and have not noticed any side effects that I would have put at Cimzia's door, however, I have been having bad sinus problems and patches of rough skin, both started about the same time as the Cimzia! I didn't make the connection. However, they are small problems, and as you say easily fixed, and the benefits of  Cimzia are worth it.

• Posted

That is interesting, Mary! I think I went without making the connection for quite a while.  I agree that whilst these minor annoyances are treatable, Cimzia is fantastic. I have had moments when I have felt that sinuses and skin are getting out of hand! All good at the moment though with sprays and creams!! Where would we be without sprays and creams?! All the best with your ongoing treatment. 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm on MTX  tablets and Cimzia injections. They reduced the MTX to 1 tablet once a week due to liver problems but so far I'm feeling so much better since taking Cimzia, no side effects and hardly any pain but I do have swelling in hands and feet still. I still feel tired a lot but it's reduced to tiredness not exhaustion. I feel brighter in myself and wanting to do more which I haven't for a long time. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Simponi for 2 years, was taken off it couple months ago.... I found it worked pretty quick... Did have a lot of infections tho, but nothing antibiotics didn't clear up.... Injection was big which made it easier to use.... I loved it until about 7 months ago when it stopped working and all my blood results was coming back high and low.... Only thing that drove me insane was how u store it... Has to be in the centre of the fridge and not touching the sides of back... Other than my problems I found it good

• Posted

I started simponi I have had 2 incisions. After the fort one they told me it would be 2 weeks before I felt any relief. Within 2days I felt better. And I was in in a lot of pain. Since then I've had the other infusion still symptoms are staying away and I have great relief! Until I fell down the stairs in the basement. But another story lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.