Cinnamon and Benzoate free diet for chronic ulceration

Posted , 11 users are following.

For the past 5-6 years I have been suffering from constant ulcers in my mouth and throat, it was so bad my face would swell up, I couldn't eat, drink, speak or swallow without pain. After many years of doctors and dentists having no idea what was going on I was finally put onto a Cinnamon and Benzoate free diet. It seems to be working and I have been on it for about 9 weeks now. I am glad its working however there are so many foods I cant have. I cant have anything that says "flavours" on the ingredients list unless the E numbers are listed and E numbers E210-E219 are not present. I cannot have any berrys, tomato pure, concentrated fruit juices, squash, chocolate. Anything that contains natural or artificial benzoates (preservatives), cinnamon or soya. I am really struggling to find foods I can eat. Especially sweets so please anyone who is also on this diet please let me know what you eat and any brands that are good. I really want to find some snacks that are great to eat, I really like sweets however as all that I have looked at have flavours even natural flavours do not list the E numbers present or contain the E numbers I cant have I have not had anything sweet like in 9 weeks. HELP!

P.S. they thought it may have been Crohn's disease and it is still not ruled out.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you so much for this diet - I was diagnosed with both Crohn's and OFG when I was 13 - while I do not have any Crohns symptoms (thank God) I still suffer the most with OFG and foods. I saw a nutritionist when I was younger and was put on a diet very similar however I am now 25, the diets since been lost ! It used to affect my top lip when I was younger and then switched over to my bottom lip and in the past couple of weeks, it has changed back to my top lip ! I have had gum surgery as my gums had swelled so much they stayed permanently that way and covered a massive chunk of my top teeth. I want to go back on a diet similar to the one you posted to see if that will help me again - I have been eating as healthy as possible these past few months as I am trying to lose weight so think I might make a big pot of soup (based on ingredients on the posted diet below) for the week and see how I go !

Thanks again for the diet jpegs ! 

-Mikayla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.