Cipralex

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a Newbie, actually just joined not even an hour ago. My Doc prescribed Cipralex 4 weeks ago. I don't take any medication and never did. Only in my early thirties I was on Ativan for 6 months and that's it. Now I am 59 and in the past several months have been really not well and not feeling myself at all. Its gone beyond me helping myself and I have tried alot. I am chronically scared to take this medication Cipralex and have held on to this prescription for weeks. I finally got it and actually a huge huge thing for me. Started my first dose this morning. My doc has me on the 10mg. but she's got me on a half a pill for seven days, then whole one after that. Step one and Step two. I am a crazy scared worrying person and swore off googlying anything to do with health years ago. But today for some reason lost my way and started googlying Cipralex. Found out on one site that there was an advisory warning from Health Canada (btw I live in Canada) and the health advisory was concerning heart health. And I continued reading it and it said to discontinue if you have any heart related rythms. I totally panicked because I do have a heart murmur I've had for years so of course I got panicked as to why my doc would prescribe this medication. Now I am so down over this, because my mental health is not good and I finally took the big step to change it with medication and now a huge setback reading about this advisory. Ugh, I wish I never googled. Can someone coach me as to maybe I overanalyzed this, or what should I do. Because as it stands now I will probably not take my second dose tomorrow morning.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi There

I would try not to google too much.  This is a great board though for support.  Is your Dr. aware of your heart murmur?  You could have what is called an innocent murmur where nothing is funtionally wrong with your heart but the blood is making an unusual sound when it is passing throuigh it.  My son has this, he has had this.  For your comfort I would ask my Dr. and get his/her view.  In many cases the benefit of Cipralex will outweigh the risks.  I have been on Ciprelex for 8 months now.  It has very few side effects and is generally well tolerated.

• Posted

Hi Judy, my sister's name is Judy smile

Thanks for your reply. My murmur doesn't seem to bother any of my past doctors and neither the present one who has prescribed the Cipralex. Yes your right about the google and as I said in my post I have stayed away from googling health issues for quite some time up until today. After reading your reply I was seriously considering not continuing the Cipralex tomorrow, as today was my very first dosage. I am having such a tough time every single day with this anxiety disorder its been months and hard to get through days. Losing many life moments and robbing the quality of my life, marriage and relationships with family and friends......I have a serious trust issues with Doctors, and this is the reason I waited so long to fill the prescription.

Do you have anxiety ? And how are you doing on the Cipralex ?

• Posted

Hi Damon

It sounds like you got a bit worked up about the possibility of the Cipralex affecting your heart. I can't address your concern but since you live in Canada why not speak to your pharmacist ( that's what I do.

I'very been on 10 and occasion 20 me of Ciprale for 5 years with few noticeable affects. It can be a tough go to have to take medication but consider your alternatives - it is possible that the Cipralex will be a short term solution until you get back on your feet Remember this is a difficult time of year for depression - some people find vitamin D and. Full spectrum lighting help with SAD. Both possible sout ions take a few months to take effect. My shrink told me to start those solutions in Sept or Oct they work well for me and keep my medications lower

Did your doctor tell how Long it will take to for the Cipralex to take full effect? Some anti-depresants take 6 weeks befoe one notices a difference.

You mentioned that you were't doing well, do you care to elaborate? Are you experiencing depression, anxiety, other? If you share your challenges others maybe able to help you with their coping skills.This is an outstandinino website.

• Posted

Hi again I tried to answer your request on my phone with a trigger happy finger. FYI I am 64, live in No. BC, and was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder 4.5 years ago. Due to my condition I need to take Lithium & CipralrX. I hate having to take the meds; I hate that they have caused significant weight gain, I hate that I only feel like a fraction of the person I was before the medication. For 4 years I agreed each day to take my meds, that's how I did it one day at a time.

I still strongly dislike having to take meds, reduce street and other potential triggers. But, when I hear my family members say how centered and calm I am...well that keeps me going. Due to the nature of being bipolar managed to alie nate just about everyone that meant anything to me

I think that there are a lot of people who do not want to be on medication. Perhaps you can do a trial for a few months and see if you feel better. Do you have a mood chart or some way of recording how to feel from hour to hour or day to day. I'm saying a special blessing / mediation for you see if you can feel it. Good luck to you. Kari

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.