Cipro

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been taking the cipro and flagyl for 5 days. I believe the cipro is giving me extreme anxiety. I already deal with anxiety but nothing like this. I can't sleep, I can't sleep very long. Anyone else deal with this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have had this happen when I have had to take the 2 meds as well. It was so bad for me that I really fear having to take the meds again.  I have been so careful since I had my last bout of diverticulitis. 

There is a post somewhere that lists foods that have caused people problems.  It goes beyond the regular seeds, nuts, bits of things that can lodge, corn, and rice.  I also have cut out dairy and aspertame, sugars (for the most part) and ice cream (which is deadly).  I have cut down on coffee.  I don't eat out much but when I do I go to places that adjust the food for me.  I pretty much follow a diabetic diet.  It is never a problem for me to think before I eat anything and just say no now (this is coming from someone who had a gut of steel and could eat ANYTHING)... spicey foods are not my friend. Fresh veggies are not my friend.  If I even think I am possibly, maybe feeling anything at all which might indicate that my bowels might be headed toward an attack, I drink water for 2 days and eat nothing.  Then it is broth for 5 days and then I start with baby food strained vegetables.  I eat baby food regularly.  I make sure I take pro-biotics (in the pill form) every day and I also have Metamucil for the fiber.

This is all because I do not ever want to go through having to take those meds or have an attack again.  I was such a foodaholic before.  Boy, did that change when pain and anxiety were a possibility!

Bless you and I hope you will get more info than what I have given.

• Posted

Yes, Cipro did that to me as well, plus joint pains.  I hated it, but you have to suck it up; try reading, watching a lot of boring TV.  I had take Nytol to get some sleep! When I had my 2nd attack, my dr. put me on amoxy-clavulin. Way less side effects,  it took longer to do its thing.
  • Posted

I cannot take cipro - orally.  It was okay when I was in hospital with it through iv, but once I came home, it made me totally spaced out an anxious along with rapid heartbeat.  I have it now listed on my records as being allergic to it.  They can give you other combo's of meds, but I have found that flagyl by itself takes care of my problem. (I have had three attacks in 10 years).  The second one my doc prescribed 250 mg of flagyl 3 times a day - no other meds, and it worked fine w/o the side effects.  This last time I saw a different doc and he prescribed the flagyl with augmentin.  I asked him if I could try the 250 flagyl and if i didn't work to increase it and take the augmentin.  He agreed, and again, just the flagyl took care of it perfectly.  I think they just prescribe the standard dose whether you weigh 120 or 250, and it can make a big difference.  

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I kept wondering whyi was so worked up. I'm prescribed Xanax and I've been taking them on the clock, which I normally don't. It doesn't even give me relief. Helps for maybe an hour. I have a call out to my Dr. I refuse to take another pill. Now I'm wondering how long it will be in my system before I feel better.

• Posted

I don’t take Cipro because I had a reaction to topical ear drops. Dr agreed I could have an oral reaction. In the hospital I had IV antibiotics and went home with Augmentin. I stopped it 3 days early due to extreme diarrhea.   Fever of 100.7 started 3 days later which lasted for 10 days. My dr put me on Amoxicillin 500 3x day n Flagyl for 14 days   He said infection was “smoldeing”  Finally, after. 5-6 weeks I started feeling better. Has been 8 weeks now. Still lack the energy i once had.  A combination of little food and exercise plus nausea from the meds has left me weak. I watch everything I eat. No desire for red meat or red wine. Chicken and fish tastes good. I eat Raisin Bran Crunch with some added All Bran for breakfast with blueberries. Love bananas    I take Metamucil and probiotics daily  Our life was about food. wine and traveling. I love everything with seeds n nuts. Loved to bake etc.   Life has changed   My dr doesn’t think it makes any difference what you eat. However, I’m not willing to take any chances.  Blessings to all you who are suffering 
  • Posted

Hi

I Absolutely agree! As if the disease isn’t bad enough, the meds would make me feel so much worse!! I too had horrible  anxiety while on the antibiotics. Also developed numbness, tingling in my fingers and feet on Flagyl. Last time I was on antibiotics was April and still have the numbness and tingling!  It really is awful! Good luck!

Kate

• Posted

Anxiety and insomnia are common side effects of Cipro and also joint pains that miredo222 mentions.  The way Cipro (and the other fluoroquinolones) affect you varies from person to person and we think this is down to your not only how much you take but also your genes because some people seem to tolerate several courses while others are in agonising pain and left disabled (or worse!) after just one pill.

If you feel you should continue with it to clear your gut of infection be sure to watch out for any other side effects developing (you should have a list of them in the packet). Also be aware that for some people the anxiety can turn into depression or panic attacks that stay with people for months or years. I'm not trying to scare you, just stating the facts.  Visit the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this forum to find out more about it.

I can't tell you what to do but I think the advice here to skip the Cipro and rely on the flagyl makes good sense as the risks with Cipro often outweigh the benefits (as stated by the FDA in 2016!). If you carry on taking them I strongly advise that you never take another course of it or any of the FQs.

• Posted

I was the same way on Cipro got real bad anxiety and panic attacks, still dealing with it. On Xanax 2x a day. I was diagnosed in Feb 2018 and I’m still dealing with it. My final diagnosis is severe Diverticulosis (3 spots) in sigmoid along with Diverticulitis induced IBS and now SIBO. I have to be back on antibiotics Augmentin for 2 weeks. Scared to take them due to diarrhea and tummy aches. But gotta do it to get rid of infection. Got probiotics, lotsa water , Gatorade, pedialyte. Mylanta . My diet is strict on Low FodMat diet minus carbs like potatoes yams, bread, crackers, sugar are all noons with SIBO. I have lost 40lbs in 5 months. So this being back on antibiotics sucks. And causes more anxiety, ugh. What a horrible 5 months. My heart goes out to everyone who has been living with this horrible DD. 
  • Posted

The cipro caused extreme joint and tendon pain. After six weeks post antibiotics I still have joint and tendon pain. I would be reluctant to take it again. Also I did not find that two week course of cipro and flagyl helped much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.