CIPRO

Posted , 21 users are following.

Has anyone had any bad experiences from the use of CIPRO? Thanks.

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies - I threw out my bottle and will ask for something else. Howard

• Posted

This has been the worst drug ever for me. I am still suffering from the tendon issues a year after taking this miserable drug. Believe them when they say the effects may not be immediate. It practically crippled me between the tendon and joint issues it caused.

A year later I am still doing physical therapy, trying to get where I can walk without excruciating frickin’ pain! I used to go for a walk every night with my wife, ride my bike and more. Until just the last month more than about 15 steps caused incredible agony. I finally feel like I turned a corner and can now walk about 10 minutes before the pain becomes unbearable. I have done all the physical therapy the doctor said. It was agonizing to do as he proscribed. He said it could takes months to year to fully recover. I though he was joking but it appears he wasn’t. I should have never taken that blasted Cipro. God only knows what other issues I was suffering from and didn't realize it. I had pretty bad headaches which I attributed to something else but likely was Cipro. This should be a med of last resort!!!! To top it off it reduced my urine flow as well while on it. Last thing I needed with BPH...

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I wish you a full recovery. What meds are you taking for your pain management? I tried Tramadol which was terrible. I have Gabapentin but am afraid to try it. So far only oxycodone works for me. Good luck. Howard

• Posted

It took me a while to figure out what was going on and how to address it. I finally ended up at a podiatrist who was able to diagnose my issue and the root cause.

With respect to meds, I was limited for sometime regarding what I could take as I had a urolift done. Prior to that I used naproxen as it was the only one I could tolerate long term that wasn't addictive. I had to stop taking it for my urolift. So now I am back on it but if I miss a dose I can still function.

• Posted

I was on Cipro for Lyme Disease in 2004. Doxycyclene is actually the drug they normally prescribe but it made me sick. Was changed to Cipro and had no problems. Everyone is different though

• Posted

Hello All

Was on Cipro 4 times last year never had a problem with it either.

Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

I've already posted on this thread but I just want to make clear that just because someone (you) has already taken several courses of Cipro (or other fluoroquinolones) doesn't mean they will always be OK to take it. It doesn't work like other antibiotics (e.g.penicillin) where you're either allergic to it or not. It works by slowly causing damage to your cells (all of them) and how susceptible you are to the damage depends on several factors such as your genes and your overall health.

My husband took two courses for catheter-related UTIs with no problems at all and then the third course (all in the same year) left him lying in agony after the 5th tablet. Others can take many more courses while a few people are seriously ill after taking just ONE tablet. Think of it as Russian Roulette perhaps.

• Posted

Yes Miriam. I do know that not everyone can take Cipro. I have been taking it for years. We try it and watch what happens. If you feel something is wrong call your doctor and tell him so he can give you something else.

My father was allergic to penicillin. They had to give him another antibiotic.

Take care and I hope your husband feels better....Ken

• Posted

While we are on this topic - I took Cephalexin (Keflex) over the past 14 months for my scrotal pain. Initially it worked really well but by the 7th course it started to have no effect. By the 10th course a few months ago I noticed that the scrotal pain stopped AFTER I stopped the 10 day course. Last month I had to stop this drug after the 3rd day as it was causing severe pain in my body. Does this make sense? That was when I started taking opioids so I could get through the day. Thanks.

• Posted

When Cipro does affect you calling your doctor is too late as there is nothing he can do about it. Believe Miriam, not only has she first hand evidence of it she has the evidence presented at the EMA conference in London in June plus from groups around the world. In my case it hit me suddenly a considerable time after having been prescribed it. Also on the three ocasions I was prescribed it I stopped it after a few days as tendonitis started.

• Posted

Howard

What did your doctor say. Did he give you something else to try. Sometimes nothing makes since.

Good luck....Ken

• Posted

Derek

Last year I was on Cipro 4 times for a infection and once Bactrim. Last week I went to the doctor he told me that I have a infection again with a trace of blood. He told me to call him if I wanted a antibiotic.

I have not called him for one. I could call my urologist he would give me one. But I decided not to. I have been drinking a lot to try to flush it out. I hope. Still cloudy and a little burning. But I am dealing with it. I have to have blood work in 4 weeks

I guess that's life................Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken - no I did no ask for another antibiotic to replace Keflex as I do not believe my scrotal pain is from an infection anyway. That was when I started to take oxycodone which works great. I only take it sparingly for intense pain. My appointment for the botox injection into my scrotum is scheduled for the end of March so I will have to manage till then with pain killers. I hope it works otherwise I will be facing a left testicle removal.

On the UTI antibiotics, I had a UTI a few months ago and Macrobid worked well for me. I was also prescribed Amoxicilin at the time since the culture grew bacteria that would respond to both these drugs. I am learning tai chi to relax! Howard

• Posted

Howard

If the Botox works for the pain will you still have the testicle removed or will you leave it alone.

Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken - If the botox works well for a few months then I can repeat it and will not have to have the testicle removed. Do you know anyone who had their testicle removed? I cannot find anyone to talk to about this. Take care

• Posted

Hey Howard

That would be good if it would take the pain away. I do not know anyone that has had a testicle removed. Just what I have read. I will have to look and see if there is a site or a group that you can talk to.

I have read a few and they remove it and put a phony one in so you look normal. I guess you can pick what size you want.

I will let you know.....Ken

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

My point was that the fluoroquinolones do not work like any other antibiotic. The damage they cause to the cells is cumulative - which means that every time you take them they create some damage. How much depends on many factors such as genetic make up, lifestyle and environmental impacts. Some people only take ONE tablet while others, like my husband, tolerate a couple of courses. There are many, such as yourself, who have taken lots of courses over the years then find just one more tablet tips them over the edge of their threshold. (One person wrote on here that she'd calculated she must have had over 50 courses - then was seriously affected by just one more). Most people actually never take enough for the damage to be noticeable so never know about any problems - although they might easily suffer from something that was caused by the fq damage e.g. aortic aneurysm (which has been in the press a lot recently).

I'm only trying to make clear that just because someone hasn't been affected yet doesn't mean they never will be. Watching what happens and stopping them if you notice symptoms is ok but don't forget that sometimes the side effects don't start for some weeks after you've stopped taking them (up to a year even).

Thanks for asking about my husband, he's over the Cipro (I think) but won't ever be over the MS which created the catheter problems in the first place.

You take care too.

• Posted

Hello Miriam

I'm sorry for what your husband is going through. I'm happy that you are by his side. You know sometime men do not like going to the doctor. I was like that years ago. Now I learn all I can.

Check on anything that the doctors give your husband That is the best thing to do.

Take care Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.