Cipro And Omeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I know you all are not Dr's/pharmacists but would anyone know about this.

4 days ago I took a Cipro 500mg . It made me a be shaky and i noticed my legs wobbly. My heart started to speed up a little. I then looked at the web and noticed all the horror stories- i was prescribed them for 10 days for Bronchitis/ sinnusitis. I didn't take anymore and have not been prescribed a replacement. At the momemt i have no more Adverse reactions , but i a bit shocked i was prescribed them at all- to be fair i did ask for some strong antibiotics - but not ones like that!

Question is now i need to take omeprazole once a day because of the acid causing my bronchill to inflame even more. I'm a bit worried to take anything now that might react- any thoughts?

thanks so much in advance

rachael

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Cipro does get a bad press here.  The real answer is that you need to discuss this with your doctor. There is a "yellow card" system in UK to report side effects.

Your doctor prescribed the drug for you because s/he though that was the best treatment. Presumably.  There are probably alternatives that are better for you and - probably - more expensive!

I have found to my cost that if I have a UTI the most effective drug [Trimethiprin] gives me instant thrush, balinitis and amazing athletes foot.  The doctor has called this "Stevens-Johnson" syndrome and my computer record is marked at the surgery. In hospital I have a red armlet!  And all for that!

There is one thing that I am not clear on and that is "did you finish the course?". If you did not then there is a possibilty that the infection may not have been controlled.  This is how antibiotic resistance may get a hold.

You really do need to get back to the doctor for advice and - if needed - an alternative antibiotic.

• Posted

No [though I may have unknowing in the past] - my problems were with Trimethiprin. This cured my urinary tract infection but gave me the most appalling side effects - balinitis, athletes foot all over body, oral and genital thrush - almost instantly
  • Posted

"though" = "thought".  On re-reading I see that you did not continue with the Cipro.

I am "amazed" that you told the doctor that you wanted some "strong antibiotics" - presumably you are not in UK?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.