Cipro side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a ureteroscopy on Feb. 7. Feb 9, dr. said I had an infection and switched my antibiotics from Macrobid to Cipro. I took Cipro for 5 1/2 days. I called the doctor on call and told him I was having nightmares, couldn't sleep, kept feeling like I was falling and my whole body would jerk awake when I finally tried to sleep. I have no appetite and have lost a lot of weight. I stopped taking it Feb 14. I was anxious to begin with, now its 10X worse. I took Hydroxyzine for anxiety (usually calms me down and I can sleep) but it didn't help at all. The side effects are definitely from the Cipro. I don't know what to do now. I feel like I can't function. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also wanted to add, I was basically completely healthy before, except for the kidney stone and high blood pressure which was being managed by meds. I have had several CAT scans (because of the kidney stone) and numerous blood tests and urinalysis and everything came back good. 
  • Posted

It certainly sounds like the Cipro has caused these bad effects. Did you stop taking it after you called the doctor - I'd be interested to know what he said.

I'm guessing you're in the USA?  There are many on-line groups where you can get help and advice (you probably won't get much help from your doctors!).  If you look for floxie hope, there are many articles and stories and, if you are on fce bk, look for fluoroquinolone toxicity group.  They have over 9 thousand members so there is always someone to chat to and ask questions. You have to ask to join but I think they're usually pretty quick.

You could always have a look at the fluoroquinolone discussions on here - they're quite lengthy but there is some good advice and information in them such as taking magnesium supplements and antioxidants, also probiotics for your gut.  Definitely don't take any NSAID painkillers or steroids.  You might need to get an anti-depressant prescribed temporarily for the anxiety as it may get worse before it gets better - it hits some people harder than others. 

Join a group and find a doctor who understands what's happened - Good Luck!

Had you heard anything about Cipro before you took it?  I'm just wondering how you knew the anxiety etc. was from the Cipro as that's not the most common symptom.  I'm interested to know how people find out about it - so we can learn how to help more people avoid it! 

Have you realised Cipro is just one member of the fluoroquinolone family and there are at least 4 other antibiotics you should now avoid - for ever.  Levaquin and Avelox are names you might have come across.

• Posted

It was originally prescribed for me for 5 days. At the appointment the Dr. extended it another 3 days. That night was when the side effects got bad. I called the Dr the next afternoon and the On-call doctor told me to stop taking it. He said he also dealt with the same side effects while he was on it. I followed up with my doctor the next day and they said the infection had cleared, I didn't need to be on any antibiotics

I've was being treated for anxiety since December. I was prescribed Hydroxyzine. I was only taking it when I had the occassional anxiety attack. I had a kidney stone that had to be removed by ureteroscopy. The severe anxiety is from the Cipro. I took Hydroxzyine on Wednesday night, it usually calms me within 20 min and I am able to sleep. This time, it didn't help and actually kept me up and when I did sleep, I had nightmares.

• Posted

I would ask for a thyroid sc4reening plus vitamin D and full anaemia screen including vitamin B12 . If the dr refuses if you can afford it consider having the tests done privately.  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.