Ciprofloxacin / fast heart and unbearable anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

Been given 500mg ciprofloxacin for a water infection. G.p. told me to reduce domperidone whilst taking this antibiotic. After two days my heart rate is up, my neurological condition has got worse, but the worst is the utterly awful anxiety. Rang GP who told me stop them straight away. 24hrs on I don't understand as I still have those symptoms. I am beside myself it's the weekend so cannot ring GP.

Is it the ciprofloxacin ?

Is it reducing the domperidone?

Any help from anyone

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wobbly68.

Whilst I don't know anything at all about Domperidine (I am not a doctor) I do know quite a lot about Ciprofloxacin and in my opinion, your anxiety etc., is very likely to be caused by this drug. I don't know how long you took it for but it affects some people after just one tablet and others after more. In any case, it should only be prescribed if everything else has failed and Drug Safety gives very clear guidelines about when these antibiotics should be prescribed and when they should not.

Ciprofloxacin belongs to a group of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolones (forgive me if you know this already) and they are responsible for causing many very serious side effects. Please don't take another antibiotic from this group; I took Levofloxacin and was unable to walk for 5 months, due to Tendinopathy in my Achilles and other tendons in my legs and feet.

Please research Fluoroqunolones; there is some information on this website but if you Google, you will find loads of information. You should also report this possible adverse reaction to the MHRA, under the Yellow Card Scheme. It sounds like your GP knew you were having a reaction and they should also report the ADR.

I hope you feel better soon; these are very dangerous drugs and have to be prescribed with great care and shouldn't ever be used as a first line defence.

Plodding on

• Posted

Wobbly,

Please strongly consider stopping the CIPRO IMMEDIATELY and NEVER taking it again. In my estimation, you are having an ADR to the CIPRO, I had the same issues including tachycardia, nerve pain and extreme anxiety. Try to relax. If you need further support please visit floxiehope.com.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi again Wobbly

Having just read your post again, I think that if you are really concerned about your present state of health, then you should get some medical advice.

If it is the Cipro, then hopefully, the symptoms will subside but I have to tell you, that side effects commonly continue for a good whole after stopping the antibiotics.

Plodding on

• Posted

Thanks plodding on

Yes convinced it is the antibiotic. The heart rate is calming down and so is the severe awful anxiety.

I've had problems before with medication and also with withdrawal. I have used a website to report one particular drug. But what is the MHRA and yellow card. I will Google it and look into this because as I said I am suffering in many ways due to medication.

Thanks again

x

• Posted

Glad you're feeling a bit better Wobbly.

MHRA is the medical and health regulatory agency (I think that's right). If I give you the link here, it will take forever for the post to be approved, so if you type in MHRA followed by a dot, followed by gov, then another dot followed by uk, you will get there and if you look down the left hand side of the page, you will see where it says to report a safety problem - you just go to the medicines bit.

Not enough people even know about this reporting facility but you can look up the drug there and it will give you a list of those side effects which have been reported.

Best wishes

Plodding on

• Posted

Ciprofloxacin is poison and can cause every body malfunction imaginable.
  • Posted

Cipro Toxicity Group on Facebook: Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group.

You'll learn more there than any doctor knows.

• Posted

I agree completely with Trudy - you will waste your time, if you try to get doctors to help you with this but it is worth attempting to make them aware, as they might think twice before prescribing them again.

Yes the groups on Facebook are where you will find information and get lots of support and advice from other sufferers. There is also the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity 24/7 live chat group.

• Posted

Gosh I've been through so much in the last year with withdrawal from medication but yet again I had a reaction. Yes I agree docs just don't have a clue about the reactions of meds, withdrawing etc etc.

I will definitely report this. I still feel anxious today but my heart rate is loads better which I know is medication and 'not' me or all in my head as the medics put it at times.

Thanks guys really appreciate support at this scary time.

• Posted

Wobbly: I'm so sorry you are going thru this hell right now. I know life is not fair, but the alternative is worse. These big pharma companies are in collusion with the FDA so things will never change until the planet self-destructs from all the toxins and abuse. Tell everyone you know to avoid Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox and anything in the Quin family. My partner is floxed going on 2.8 years so whereever i go i give the Avoid Quin lecture! Most people don't react to these 2 drugs but if you are in the minority of people that have certain genetic markers, i.e. low magnesium, over 65, and many others, you can react. If any of you have stock, please divest in Monsanto, Bayer, and Johnson & Johnson; they are heavily invest in Mutual funds. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi, 

I know its been a few years. . maybe you are still on here?  I am curently having a similar reaction to taking 2 500mg Cipro four days ago..  fast heart rate, anxiety, brain fog, and insomnia..  its is really scary and im trying to hang in there!  How long did it take for your heart rate to slow down?  Or mind to clear?  Having a hard time, and been reading alot of accounts. . your seemed to match mine!  Thank you for any advice..  or reassurance, and hope you are well now.  

Thanks,  Tasneem

• Posted

I just read your post, I went thru the exact same thing after taking Cipro.. I honestly didn't think I was going to get through the panic and severe anxiety.. finally my family doctor put me on Paxil and another med to calm me down and after a few weeks I finally started getting better. These drugs are horrible! Sadly I read a story last night about a woman in Wilmington NC , an accomplished author, who'd been prescribed Cipro last November.. she began having panic attacks and eventually severe depression.. sadly she ended her own life A few days ago.. someone HAS to stop this insanity!

• Posted

Hi Tasneem,

it may be a long shot as I know you posted three years ago. Do you remember how long it lasted for you? I am expeirencing extreme anxiety, panic attacks after taking 3 doses of Cipro. I stopped the medication 5 days ago

• Posted

hey chloe,

i hope you reply because i am currently going through the same thing. i have really bad anxiety and panic attacks. I am so scared because of all the bad stories of cipro. Have you gotteb better?

• Edited

to people who found this post..

i took cipro twice in the soace of 2 years

Both times within 24/48 hours I went through absolute mental torture

My anxiety was incredible - no sleep, suicide seemed my only option

1st time - i came out of after 6 weeks, almost like a switch it went

2nd time - it took longer, but again after 6 weeks it lessened but its taken me 4 years to work through the mental health damage it left me ( probably a year of no stop intrusive thoughts)

Its been a long gradual journey - but if cipro has taken hold of your thoughts also hang on to the promise it will get better Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.