Ciprofloxacin poisoning?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back in September last year I had a UTi which the doctor perscribed a weeks dose of Cipro, I took the whole course and by the last day the UTi had cleared.  However, a week or so later I was getting pains when sleeping on my sides at night, severe bloating of the stomach and mild constipation, this lasted about a month then went for a few weeks - since then it keeps coming back and now seems to be constant problem of bloating and severe gas (especially in the morning).  Anyone out there had similar problems? - only it's driving me mad with worry and the doctor's don't seem to have a clue or accept it could be down to the Cipro causing the problem!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Phil i took a big dose of cipro and got the farting a bloating. It eased after 4 months.I wish id only had that problem, my overall health now is rock bottom. Guess what,dr aint got a clue,dr dont want to know. Damaged and abandoned. Youve got to larf.
  • Posted

I took cipro for almost a year and have had similar problems among worse. It is more then likely your gut bacteria level which was killed by the cipro. I recommend you take a good probiotic. 
  • Posted

Derrick is right, the Cipro will have knocked out your good gut flora and it can take up to a year or longer to get it right again. John is also right - the doctors (most of them anyway) don't have  a clue about how bad the Adverse Reactions to Cipro and the other Quinolones are. Eat plenty of live yoghurt - or take probiotic tablets.  Try to steer clear of too much sugary food and booze as this won't help.  Try to eat healthily - you may find some types of food make it especially bad (bread and sometimes bananas can set off a session!), so perhaps keep a food diary so you can see what goes down well and what doesn't.

Have you had any other problems like stiff or aching muscles or joints?  Headaches?  Fatigue?  Are you in the UK? And what did the doc prescribe it for?  Just being a bit nosey, but we do have a support group here in the UK.  For lots of other advice and info search this site for Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome.  There is a thread started by the moderator which gives some useful addresses and advice.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Miriam,  I have been eating healthily anyway - been drinking Kefir & probiotic drinks etc too, doesn't seem to make any difference and been doing this for 6 months!! - just wake up every morning hoping it's gone but is always the same, bloating, gas, cramps etc.

I have had a few more headaches than normal and yes feeling fatigued alot more these days and with 3 young children thats not easy!!  Doc has not got a clue really - I am going in for an Endoscopy this Friday other than that they are stumped!!!  Yes I am UK based.

• Posted

Looks like you're doing what you can!  I'm going to personal message you so look out for it!
  • Posted

i used Yakult  was amazing, i wrote to them and  they invited me on to the radio to tell my story, try them
  • Posted

I recently got UTI and my testicles swelled and grew heavier. URO prescribed CIPRO. I have taken two doses of it so far. I found on youtube many videos describing how CIPRO has caused tendon damage to normal healthy people and destroyed life. I am scared but have no alternative.

Any one can help?

• Posted

Hi NK, I know from experience that many men are prescribed Cipro for prostate and testicle trouble. Your Uro doesn't realise how every tablet you take brings you that bit nearer to being damaged. Did he do an actual culture to find out what bug was causing the UTI? He could prescribe a different AB to target the exact bug - Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones are broadspectrum (kill anything - including your cells), so they get prescribed for everything.

Your alternative should be to go back to him and say you're getting  side effects like the ones listed on the packet insert.  The packet says you have to do this - go back to your doctor.  I very strongly suggest you don't take another one of the pills.  You've seen the youtube clips and there are many FB sites and websites out there all saying the same thing - Cipro ruins lives.  Don't risk it, go back, get a different AB (NOT a fluoroquinolone).  Take a look at a site called Floxie Hope. Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks you very much. Are these doctors out there to cripple everyone? Another medication he prescribed is Avodart that makes one impotent as per online reviews I read.

Even my family doctor had prescribed cipro but at the time I did not take it.

• Posted

Hi Phil,

If I were you, I would run to a homeopathic doctor for help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.