Cirrhosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been told that I may have signs of early stage cirrhosis, is this reversible.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Cirrhosis is irreversible. It's scarring of the tissue. You need to concentrate on avoiding worsening the situation as there's no way back. I don't know if you drink or do drugs, but that's the start point if you do. The main causes are

Alcohol

Viral hepatitis

Non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

I am guessing your doctor would have tested you for hepatitis (?), so if not get tested.

Alcohol. If you drink, stop all alcohol immediately. As I say, it's irreversible so cut out all drinking.

Non alcoholic fatty liver disease. How is your weight? Being overweight can contribute. Get a blood test and check for fats in the blood, mainly triglycerides. Other influencing factors are insulin resistance and high blood sugars. Are you diabetic and if so are your glucose levels maintained properly?

Also, discuss your diet with the doctor.

These are only a few of the main causes. If you drink, just google "what causes cirrhosis" but if you don't, check "what causes non alcoholic fatty liver disease".

Hope this helps and gives you a start point. Don't start panicking that it's not reversible. If you are at the early stage then your liver will still do a good enough job to keep going. The key is not letting it get any worse and a few lifestyle changes can generally do to stop anything progressing.

I speak from experience as I had mild cirrhosis. Unfortunately I broke my leg, contracted a streptococcal infection which aggressively attacked my organs and I had to have a liver transplant or I was going to die.

Good luck & feel free to ask any questions you have.

• Posted

So who has told you that you may have early stage cirrhosis, is this from a medical practitioners or from your own evaluation of your symptoms
  • Posted

Based on blood results.
    • Posted

Hi James you must go back to your Dr and discuss this with him as straight blood tests can not diagnose cysts, it would need better and extensive tests to show those, I do know believe me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.