citalapram and missed period?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi to melbi, tiny tears, breezeman and julie xx not forgetting everyone else on here. have been reading your posts...and you all seem so consistent! well done to you all..wish i was like you guys.

Anyway..i have been on them for about 7wks now,,still no major change,,,only a little i guess, but what is really bothering me is the fact that i am having all of the symptoms of being due on my period and nothing is happening..1wk over now. (its definately not the obvious by the way)...could it be the citalopram..cos its really uncomfortable being bloated etc. willl i still come on?..has anyone experienced this?

thankyou for reading this..once again, i appreciate your help..and love and support to you all.

lots of love alyxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi aly

I've just read the leaflet but it only mentions heavy and painful periods as a possible side effect.

I am one of the lucky ones in that I don't have them :D

I had an emergency hysterectomy 3 years ago - can't say I miss them LOL.

I'll google later and see what I can find.

Melbi xxx

• Posted

Hi Ally

I've had similar experience in that my periods are practically disappearing, there one day then the next not then back again!! At the most lasting only 3 days instead of a usual 5 - 7. I had put it down to my age (42) but this has only happened since taking Citalopram though - may be related I'm not sure. I've decided to keep a diary and will ask Dr next time I go. It wouldn't be so bad if bloating / aches etc did a disappearing act too!

Take care

Nicky Jane x

• Posted

Hi aly, My periods have changed on this pill. Last month it was a week late, when i get them heavy and painful, but have them for shorter stretch!! Ive allready asked a doc before about thiis. She did not seem to put it down to the tablet. though have any of your other living habits changed/ Diet? I find I eat better now , but when I first started to take citalopram I had no appetite, (mind you i didnt have much of that anyway). Do you drink more caffeine? That makes everything worse. So what i do now is take evening primrose oil, it helps with the bloated boobs, and cut down on the amount of caffeine....(.shame about the other stuff I do though) :oops: :lol: :lol: :P Hope Ive helped you.
  • Posted

thankyou all of you. well ive got docs tomorrow..so shall ask him.

like you said nicky jane..the bloatedness and aches are still happening tho'.how frustrating!

anyway..will let you all know, and hope that you are all keeping well, we all need each other, thats for sure!

take care all..love alyxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Aly,

I am male so cannot offer anecdotal advice. Following is an excerpt from Wikipedia re Citalopram. I have downloaded all of the info, but this is indicative of specific side effects:

Citalopram can have a number of adverse effects. In clinical trials, over 10% of patients reported one or more of the following side effects: fatigue, drowsiness, dry mouth, increased sweating (hyperhidrosis), trembling, headache, dizziness, sleep disturbances, insomnia, cardiac arrhythmia, blood pressure changes, nausea and/or vomiting, diarrhea, heightened anorgasmia in females, impotence and ejaculatory problems in males. In rare cases (around over 1% of cases), some allergic reactions, convulsions, mood changes, anxiety and confusion have been reported. Also sedation may be present during treatment of citalopram. If this occurs it is advisable to take the dose at bedtime instead of in the morning.

Another uncommon side effect is bruxism (teeth grinding).[9] When patients start using citalopram they may experience a feeling similar to electricity or minor shocks in their upper body and in their hands. This is caused by the chemical changes occurring in the brain and they pass with time. Occasionally, panic attacks, thoughts of suicide or self-injury may occur or increase in the first few weeks, before the antidepressant effect starts.[10]

Citalopram and other SSRIs have been shown to cause sexual side effects in some patients, both males and females.[11] Although usually reversible, these sexual side effects can sometimes last for months, years or possibly indefinitely even after the drug has been completely withdrawn. This disorder is known as Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.

Citalopram is contraindicated in individuals taking MAOIs. It is considered relatively safe in overdose, although fatal cases of dosages 840 mg to 1960 mg have been reported.[12]

SSRI discontinuation syndrome has been reported when treatment is stopped. Tapering off citalopram therapy, as opposed to abrupt discontinuation, is recommended in order to diminish the occurrence of discontinuation symptoms.

[edit]Stereochemistry

Of all the above symptoms, apart from specifically female ones, I have suffered from all but convulsions. So being statistically insignificant makes my problems no less real to me, and no less depressing etc. Know that Citalopram has a half-life of 35 hours, which is why you should not double up on a missed dose nor suddenly stop taking them. I am not impotent (yet!!), but for this reason alone am trying to plan towards a reduction and then getting off them. My plan is to do this over the next 6 months. My doctor may have other plans, but he is extremely intelligent and his direct thought process blows me out of the water.

I would not have started on Citalopram had I been aware of the sexual malfunction side-effects. It strikes at the core of my masculinity, and despite my partner insisting that it's ok, her unremitting love makes it even harder for me to accept because I want to be her man even more, I try harder and it becomes worse. Not good for depression!

I do not believe I could have made it through the last 12 months without Bree. She treats me as a normal man with normal appetites. She has been supportive through my ups and downs with my custody battle for my 10 yo daughter, and I really have needed her support. I can and do discuss anything and everything with her. So my advice to you is to try and think carefully where your partner is at, and if you believe he cares enough, try discussing your pain and anxiety with him. Most blokes I know are there for their partners if something needs fixing, working out or deciding. But sympathy is not a strong suit. I suspect this may be because they may have some fears/doubts themselves which may be tripped over in the discussion.

Has any of this helped? I can tell you that without Bree's unconditional love, respect, humour, intelligence and genuine caring I be

• Posted

my girlfriend has missed her period by a couple of weeks now nearly and has been on cit tabs for last month. we not sure if it is the cit or just us being careless. interesting to see others experiences on here tho
  • Posted

pregnancy test would reveal all

Melbi

• Posted

While I was on this med I missed 3 periods in a row, still got the pmt at around the time I should of though. Once I stopped taking it all was back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.