Citalapram and mornings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

It's been 3 1/2 weeks now on 20mg of citalapram

And I'm better than I was a week ago but still feel crap in a morning and anxiety still their the negative thoughts haven't slow down I'm struggling to get out of bed in a morning and it take me a good hour to come round is this normal ? And will the negative thoughts slow down ? And will the crappy mornings get better ?

ADVICE PLEASE

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

In short yes...I definately experienced this.

I used to wake up and stare at the other side of the room for hours before moving! I wasn't tired it was just a complete lack of energy or enthusiasm for getting up.

The good news is this does pass and one morning I was just up no problem, if I have a 'blip' day it can come back but I don't worry about it now I just take my time and go at my own pace.

• Posted

Thanks for reply

Do u have the negative thoughts. ?

If so do they pass ?

• Posted

I also had negative thoughts (didn't experience this before I started this medication)

The worst example was early on when I was trying to keep busy by preparing some salad in the kitchen...I suddenly felt very insecure using the knife - I started thinking...what if I cut myself and did something silly!! I've never EVER had any thoughts in my life it was so scary!

Other than that the negative thought were mainly around thinking the tablets will never work, I'd never get my life back or I'd end up in a mental hospital! I can look back at it now and think 'oh wow' but at the time it was very real.

It will pass - just ride it out

• Posted

Thanks David that's what I needed to here that's my main problem at the moment negative thoughts tomorrow I will have been on citalapram for 4 weeks from what people have said to me it can take up to 8 week for things to get better id like to thank everyone that as given me advice it really help

Please keep in touch

How long was it before your negative thoughts stop David ?

• Posted

I am the same, mornings are the worse however I have 2 young children so staying in bed isn't an option, I do find that getting up is the hardest part though.

Hope things improve for you soon

• Posted

I have the same experiences at 20mg. I've been off work for over a month now and I dread the thought of returning I feel that I can't/don't want to go back or I just need more time but I also feel ridiculous that I'm getting this much time off already that they're expecting me I should be back by now..once my boyfriend goes to work I'm by myself and if I can't make it out of the house it means I've struggled to get out of bed I'll just lie there thinking. Gotten that bad that a lot of the time I won't even switch the tv on or read a book to occupy my mind which sucks. Takes me a while to come round its just an effort to do things around the house or getting changed to head out. I was hoping that the intrusive thought/anxiety/low mood might have eased off slightly by now but they haven't. They say 4 weeks is still early days but I wish there was a bit of improvement by now. Other things I don't have an appetite really til the evening and I tend to twitch at night when trying to sleep. The past few nights I've been having vivid dreams! Im taking 40mg propranolol 3 times a day for my anxiety too.
  • Posted

I have been on 10mg escitalopram on waking (which is equivalent to 20mg of citalopram) for just over a month. This was the first morning waking has been better but not great either. But I was at my sons place overnight so maybe that made a difference but i feel each day is a little better. I am starting to feel like walking again sometimes in the mornings so thats a improvement. What time of day do you take it. Hang in there i am sure we will see more improvement. Be kind to yourself
    • Posted

Thanks for reply I take my tablet at 5 pm with my tea
  • Posted

This is perfectly normal.  Mornings are the worst times.  I found it took me six weeks before that eased and at the time it was toeture. However if someone had told me that it would last six weeks, then I would start to feel great, I wouldn't have worried so much.  It's the not knowing if it's normal or how long it lasts that's the problem.

what you describe is text book side effects but prove the medication is kicking in.  I had horrendous side effects but stuck with it and it changed my life. I'm currently increasing by 5 mg to 25mg by breaking a tablet in half as I've recently had some trauma in my life.  I'm experiencing all the worst effects again but it's easier to bear because I know it will go in a few weeks. 

Good luck and stick with it.  You won't regret it in the end, 

• Posted

Many thanks that message put a smile on my face when I red it thank you so much that gives me hope please keep in touch xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.