Citalapram half way though week 6

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

Just looking for a bit of reassurance it's been 6 1/2 week on citalapram 20mg and 80mg of propanalol I'm still struggling with anxiety and low mood and

intrusive thoughts morning are the worse From what I been told they sould be working by now.

Does anyone think I sould give it more time ?

If so how long do I need to give it ? It's getting me down. I drive for a living and I'm struggling to drive feel so anxious

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello don.

Try to go with it. It will take time but you have to try to believe in your self. You need to g your self up, its hard ,if you keep on bringing your self down you wont get better.your are brain washing your self.

Have you been on a CBT course ,? If not get dkc to put you on one,it will help .I seen a hypnotherapy and it was brill .I am now a better person than before I had this awfull illness. And in some ways it's because of it .made me reset my self so I looked opon if as a chance to start over. Only take on what I want .

You take care and be kind to yourself. You will get better .and all this will be just a memory

• Posted

Ooh how was the hypnotherapy? I've had CBT which was great but still think there's room for improvement xx
    • Posted

I know what your saying is true thanks but it's so hard 😄 Going to take your advice thanks
  • Posted

Hi Don...

Definitely need to give it more time...I was about week 9/10 before I really noticed and difference.

I am only taking citalopram...so have no experience with the other drugs.

The intrusive thoughts will get quiet soon...you have to just let them be x

• Posted

i agree with yommy, give it a bit longer it will get better, it takes much longer than any doc will lead you to believe xxx
  • Posted

Hi Don

6 1/2 weeks is early days still.  Sorry to say but it can be 3-4 months before you start feeling better, and some people have taken much longer.  Obviously it could be much sooner.  Don't be disheartened though - remember that good things take their time.

People do give up to soon before they see what amazing improvements can be achieved from these meds.

K x

• Posted

I'm the same as you. As frustrating as it is Just got to give it more time I think and your doctor is there to judge your progression and advice whether to increase or change meds. I'm taking Citalopram 20mg and propranolol 40mg X 3 day for about 2 months. I still haven't returned to work can't face it. Daytime is worse for me too. Graphic Intrusive thoughts. Vivid dreams. Still waiting for a therapist which would've been more helpful to get at the beginning (despite not wanting to go through it again)I reckon but o well. on rare days were I can get out of bed but can't leave the house Im now trying to help myself - I force myself to write all the time,lot of my thoughts down, make a list on my phone of small things I might want to pick up or do to make it feel like I've accomplished something as lame and small it might be and even housework/water the plants to feel useful/distracted. Other things I'm trying - Aromatherapy salts oils, music, reading , treating myself to one or two things, breathing exercises. Now I'm looking at my health food wise i eat so many takeaways etc but I've been forcing myself into making healthy smoothies and eating nuts and I'm enjoying them so it makes me think I could get some benefit through it. Its very hard to be productive but if I get p*ssed off enough sometime it gives me the kick I need to get up or the support of my boyfriend to help me do things. It's frustrating I know, we want fast results. Good luck and hope this is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.