Citalopram ????

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm new to taking Citalopram, on day 4 at present and my boyfriend is on day 3. My anxiety has got worse if anything! Everything has heightened! My chest pains feel worse, my breathlessness feels worse and I shake! In the morning i get seriously dizzy and feel really spaced out! I take my tablet at night because it makes me sleepy but I honestly don't know what to do sad I don't like feeling like this! I just feel uneasy in my own body! My boyfriends first 2 days were great but tonight he has completely spaced out on me and went almost numb. He's lying in bed at the minute with his eyes open completely spaced out! It's terrifying sad I don't like shaking or trembling sad I just want it all to stop! 

Sorry for the long post! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've stop taking mine really heightend my anexity had a few panick attacks felt really weak and dizzy also the shakes and have really lose stools as soon as I stopped taking it,it stopped so it's due to the tablet,citalopram is good but a strong antidepressants at the same time,I'm gonna  start it again tommrow and prepare for hell for a week 😳

• Posted

Hi starting any antidepressant can cause side effects generally increased ànxiety however it lasts for a few weeks and once it levels out the side effects decrease gradually.Don't stop taking them give them a chance to work and it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get the full benefit of any antidepressant.Just take it easy and know it will improve.

• Posted

I know what your going through and it's hell. I went through it with Sertraline. Gave up after two weeks because my anxiety got so bad. Heightened is an understatement, it was like anxiety on steroids.

Now 6 months on, my anxiety is back and impeading my life yet again and looking at starting citalopram. The kicker is, if I held out another few days I might have felt the world of difference. The doctors pushed me not to quite but I just wanted to stop taking it. Now preparing for that initial hell again.

Just to note, I had a lot of stomach problems on Sertraline in the first few days. Sick 24/7 but by day 5 it stopped. The spaced out and dizziness went by day 8. I really should have took this as a sign of improvement. It was just the increased anxiety I couldn't take anymore and I needed to get back to work. I have a mortgage to pay and couldn't hold out longer rolleyes

Really wish I didn't stop it looking back now.

• Posted

What dose have you started on? I started on 10mg 7 weeks ago and doc said to raise to 20mg after four weeks to allow to settle. I had a few side effects but nothing terrible on 10mg. Moving to 20mg hasn't been to bad after four weeks but might have been awful if I'd started on this or increased to quickly. Also, have you been nervous to try this med? If so you may have increased anxiety due to that? Go back and see your doc if you're worried. I went back after 7 days for a general chat and was prescribed sleep tabs to help me settle at night which I now no longer need. I also take my tab in the morning. At first I found by the evening my anxiety had increased and felt better when I took tab following morning. If I'd taken tab at night I imagine I would have felt worse in the morning. Maybe try changing when you take it too? Good luck x

• Posted

Think it's unacceptable that doctors make us suffer this way as sorry but a pill should not make you worse before better !!! I was on them for 10 weeks and it was worst 10 weeks of my life a was worse x a million plus horrible side effects if id known I would never have went near them and after them will never touch another again! Am still not right and off them nearly 3 months.. hope you feel better.. they where that bad they had to give me diazepam for two weeks.. if you can stick it out power to you but i wanted to get better not worse...

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately with any antidepressant medication you have to get past the side affects before you see an improvement. I have been on Citalopram several times in the last and the first 2/3 weeks are awful but then you start seeing an improvement and you will eventually feel like your normal self. Its difficult at first but plod on with the meds. Your GP can prescribe something to help with the side affects if needed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.