Citalopram 10mg - Can't cope

Posted , 2 users are following.

Was on Cit 20mg for years and stopped in Sept 22.

Restarted a week ago on 10mg after feeling like I wasn't as happy as when I was on them.

However within 2 days on 10mg I've felt huge anxiety out of nowhere (didn't have this without them)- tummy ache, racing thumping heart, unable to concentrate, bad breathing, etc. Genuinely forgot how bad it would be - either that or maybe when I started before I was so anxious anyway I didn't notice.

My question is what to do now - if I continue how long until it fades? If I stop, would just 7 days at 10mg give me withdrawal symptoms? My gut at the moment is to stop as I genuinely regret starting again.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi pete, Starting again on an antidepressant for anxiety or low mood, can greatly increase anxiety or worsen low mood in the beginning as you are experiencing. This can last for many weeks and months depending on the individual. Having only been back on for a short while,it should be a lot easier to cease treatment compared with longer term use.

I have been off antidepressants nearly 9 months now for the first time in 32 years,after many times of tapering off every SSRI and not being able to stay off them for more than 6 months. Through information from various organisations that are now available on social media and information in the media,I realised that I was suffering from protracted withdrawal and dependency that can last for a very long time after long term antidepressant use. That's what I am still experiencing now,and have been through many changing phases of recovery which isn't easy. Everything depends on the individual,but seeing as you were on medication long term,you could still be in a protracted withdrawal from September last year. Our brains need time to adjust from continued drug interference over a long period,and that takes time. There are organisations like Surviving Antidepressants where other past users go for information and support. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.

Since my post I stopped the 10mg as it had only been a week on them - but since then my anxiety has remained if not got worse!

Now really not sure what to do - go back on (again) and ride out the first few weeks - or stay off them and hope the withdrawal goes away?

• Posted

Hi, Citalopram has a half life of approximately 36 hrs. This is the time it takes for half of the medication to leave your system. This means it will take 7 days approximately to flush out. That doesn't mean that it still won't have some affect on your anxiety as your brain has now been disrupted from the influence of the drug,plus it will affect your confidence and mindset from the increased anxiety. Everything involved with mind & body takes time to accustomise to changes. It's not always as simple as stop something, everything goes away. Hence the reason behind protracted withdrawal even after cessation of a drug. The cells and the system of the body affected by drugs possess the ability to have a memory state that linger far after something has been discontinued affecting the mind & body. Going on Citalopram again could possibly mean months of heightened anxiety as you experienced,until everything settles down. A common timeframe could be around 12 weeks. Starting & stopping antidepressants is not recommended,and only causes more complications. Therefore you should either commit yourself to antidepressants with all the heightened anxiety that brings or use an holistic approach and non drug strategies like I have now committed to. Only you can make that decision. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

I really appreciate your detailed reply.

I'm going to try to hold on without the Citalopram as I don't know if I can deal with the 12 weeks of getting used to it - plus the side effects it will then have on libido etc.

What I'm scared about is why I still feel SO anxious even though I only took 10mg for 10 days and stopped that 7 days ago. I guess even that amount has messed with my brain. If it doesn't go maybe I'll be forced to commit to taking the drug again?

• Posted

Hi pete, because of the heightened anxiety caused by the Citalopram,it has pushed you more into the cycle of anxiety, which fuels itself from worrying about the anxiety which causes more anxiety and so it goes on until you end up in a panic. You have to break the cycle of anxiety. The best way to do that straight away is to practice acceptance. Acceptance of all the anxiety symptoms and feelings as just what they are,harmless feelings and sensations of a sensitised nervous system. The more you fuel your anxious thoughts, the more your nervous system will respond. Taking the Citalopram for 10 days has exacerbated the worry and anxious thoughts. That will subside soon as it was only a short time, as long as you don't provide more fuel to the fire by fretting over it. Acceptance of your anxiety as just harmless sensations is the foundation on which recovery is built. If you then practice mindfulness, meditation, breathing,a healthy diet with exercise,walking in and appreciating nature,use neuroplasticity to rewire the anxious brain,then you are on your way to a full recovery. All these things require time & effort but all contribute to improving the anxious brain,and come without side effects. There is so much information out there now for anxiety recovery, unlike years ago when I struggled without the internet and forums. Look for channels like Improvement Path and Medicating Normal for support and information around anxiety and medication. Good luck.

• Posted

I am so so grateful for your reply. I am still feeling pretty dreadful but it is one week today that I stopped the tablets so hopefully they will be out of my system too. The worry ABOUT the anxiety is something that is hard to combat but I'll keep trying. I enjoy my work, I breathe deeply, take physical exercise etc. but currently even if I 'burn off' some nervous energy I wake up with a terrible stomach / breathing. Hopefully that will dissipate soon and I can 'break the cycle'.

• Posted

Hi,I used to think that 10mg of Citalopram was an ineffective dosage, until I watched a psychiatrist say that the last smallest dosage of antidepressant is the hardest to taper off due to it having the greatest effect. Also, antidepressants actually do what they're supposed to do within hours. It's the alteration the medication makes to our systems that have to adjust to that change that takes time and causes so much heightened anxiety and low mood. Therefore, even though you took it for just 10 days it would have already made serious changes,hence the terrible anxiety. That will take time to recover from. Also I believe you were experiencing the exact same protracted withdrawal as I've experienced over 32 years of coming off SSRI'S after 6 months of tapering off,seeing as you stopped last September.I believe that around 4-6 months after stopping I experienced a period of worsening of symptoms attributed to stopping. This is typically seen as relapse by doctors,and a reason to reinstate medication with a view to staying on for life. I found that being educated and having an awareness of the truth of what can occur being on or coming off and staying off antidepressants,has helped to get through the worst that anxiety throws at us. There are also many plant supplements that may help like Chamomile,Valerian root etc. Also,gentle exercise like walking is preferable over intensive cardio like running which can make things worse. Good luck.

• Posted

I can't put into words how grateful I am for your reassurance. It is 8 days now since the citalopram and I have had extremely vivid dreams the last 2 nights - which I assume might show my brain is changing still. That gives me hope that this 'anxious' version of myself isn't necessarily a permanent new me but that I am still adjusting.

• Posted

Hi pete, don't know how long you took Citalopram for originally,but after 32 years of taking antidepressants I believe that I am in protracted withdrawal syndrome PWS. It has been nearly 9 months since I stopped,the longest period I have gone without drugs in that 32 year period. I,and lots of other people if you go to Surviving Antidepressants site,have gone and are going through the same thing. I believe my brain is in the process of healing without drug intervention,and has to learn again to function by itself . Like finally throwing away a crutch I was given for a broken leg 32 years ago and thought I couldn't walk without. Some people talk about being in this state for years after long term use and have taken multiple antipsychotic drugs,but say they feel better than ever after this period of change. I have been through multiple changes in the last 9 months, including vivid dreams,highly emotional,chronic muscle tension and more,but I know it's part of the healing process however long it takes. If you have faith in yourself without medical intervention and persevere with strategies like I described,use the examples of like minded people on the sites like Surviving Antidepressants, Improvement Path,Medicating Normal and more,then you will get there like I believe I will. Good luck on your path.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.