Citalopram 10mg for anxiety - positive stories please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've recently been prescribed 10mg citalopram for anxiety.

I, like many others I guess, was terrified of side effects! I was on prozac years ago and it was GRIM at first!!!

Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet, as I am off work anyway at the moment. I can honestly say that the first 5 days taking them, I've felt the best I have felt in ages. HOWEVER , today, on day 6 I have felt an underlying anxious feeling most of the day. Could this be the dreaded side effects? I am hoping its just a blip and that its just one of my normal anxious days, not the meds! Please could anyone reassure me, maybe that they felt like this in the early days of citalopram and that it WILL get better?! I have been so positive and hopeful about these meds and don't want today to ruin that! THANKS in advance x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alicia, I was put on citalopram 10mg to treat my anxiety but unfortunately it did make me worse after 10 days ...I was also on amatriptaline which probably didn't help..they took me off the both of them and put me on mirtazapine which seems to be helping. ..I hope you get it sorted either way ...take care and remember there's always people around who will listen

• Posted

I switched from Amitriptyline to Citalopram 20mg and it did take a few months to even out but i do feel like my anxiety is much more manageable now. I occasionally feel nausea in the morning and i get night sweats but I'll take those over the other symptoms. Unfortunately with anxiety i think there will still be those underlying days where you have an anxious feeling but from my experience on this medication they're far fewer than before i took them.

• Posted

sorry it didn't work for you Martin. They do say to give it longer than 10 days...perhaps as you say it could have been the amatryptiline...I Have heard some negative stories of that too.

Caz...thank you for your positive story. Please can you tell me if you struggled sleeping? I lay awake until gone 3am this morning despite being so tired most of yesterday! Before i took these though, I had spells like this so it may not be the meds. I have also recently had surgery and was on morphine and tramadol, which knocked me out. Maybe my body wonders where the knock out drops are lol.

I know so many people on citalopram and their experiences are so positive. I'm only on day 7....my doctor said after 2 weeks I should see an improvement.

I need to be patient I guess!

• Posted

To be fair my sleep patterns have never been great. I'll go to bed around 10, take about an hour to drop off. Wake up at 3-ish, sleep for about 50 mins at a time then until i get up, clock watching in between.

There's a technique for sleep training on Mind's website you could try. I'm struggling at present with sticking to it but I've heard it works if you're persistent.

• Posted

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try. I've never been a great sleeper myself to be honest! My age could also be a factor...think I'm approaching the menopause. THE JOYS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.