Citalopram 10mg gave up after 11 days do I start again

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, just looking for advice please. Took citalopram on 17th April for 11 days 10mg for anxiety. Side effects were awful constant nausea, retching, no appetite and no sleep. I gave up after 11 days but stomach problems still there and so is anxiety, not sure which is causing which. Anxiety over health, low mood and general worries getting worse. Now at the stage where I think maybe I should try again. Any advice please and is there another medication might be better?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hey 11 days is not long enough as your body is only getting used to the medication. i am on citalopram myself and have been for about 6 weeks now. the first 3 weeks i felt 10 times worse, couldnt sit still because my mind was racing with thoughts also couldnt eat because i felt sick to my stomach and also my sleep is still messed up. but i am sticking with it as i do have better days than others. i have been reading posts and it seems everyone goes through the blip stage with bad days and good days. it takes time always keep telling yourself that.

• Edited

Thank you, the nausea is just so awful and not eating makes it worse and then I worry about not eating. I was on this medication 2 years ago and was fine so I was so shocked at reaction this time around. Am 55 and think perimenopause playing a part in anxiety now. These are such difficult times and I feel so miserable. I am wondering about cutting pill in half and take 5mg to start with but that will probably not be very effective.

• Posted

get pure orange juice it seems to help when i feel sick and weak. my advice would be stick to the 10mg as thats what your body is already tring to get used to. it is tough but gradually these side effects shift. if you are thinking about cutting to 5mg dont forget if you up to 10mg again that these side effects will probably return. tell yourself every day is another day over you and you are not alone. i really struggled the past 4 days but today is better so that shows that meds are slowly working.

• Posted

Have you got your appetite back now? Do you take yours in the morning? It's been 6 weeks since I stopped after 11 days but my anxiety was better just couldn't cope with side effects although I have no appetite now because of the anxiety and rubbish sleep, so wish I had carried on with them as I am back to square 1. Good point about not cutting down to 5 to begin with.

• Posted

yea i got my appetite back. just eat something small and build up.. if you already have the side effects then i would start taking the meds again as it would be no diffrent on them since you feel this bad anyway.. only diffrence is at the end of it you will feel yourself again as the meds will start working..plenty of healthy fruit juice helps atleast its something good for you..just keep telling yourself it will get better the more you stick to it.. i understand when the bad days hit they knock you off your feet but like everyone we are waiting on the better days to come. just take your time and stick with it. routine your day to begin with. have a time to go to sleep and stick to it i notice if i go over a certain time at night that i feel worse the next day.

• Posted

i have magnesium but im always afraid to mix anything with my tablets. does it help even more?

• Edited

Just be careful with Magnesium they gave me really bad diarrhoea, they are known to have a laxative affect, so if your like me and very sensitive to medication just be aware it may cause this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.