Citalopram 10mg to 20mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I’ve been through the mill recently. 

My ex partner was suffering from depression and anxiety and was put on the same medication but started a higher dose and it was increased but developed psychosis. It was very traumatic for me but the side effects didn’t really start straight away. We no longer speak as the relationship and trauma of what I saw was too much. 

I then started to think/believe I would end up like him with my brain thinking I would develop this condition. 

I then got made redundant through no fault of the company. 

After discussion with the gp after suffering anxiety, intrusive thoughts and panic attacks he decided to put me on 50mg Sertraline which made me pass out and group cbt. 

After another trip to the doctors, it was decided I should start a low dose of citalopram 10mg which would help. 

After only being on the medication for 3 weeks, having an episode recently where anxiety crippled me with intrusive thoughts, I decided to visit the gp again and talk through my issues. I was assured by then and my dosage was increased to 20mg which I started taking today and prescribed diazepam for a very short term for those moments where I feel I can’t cope. 

I am doing better on 10mg, believe me. I’m able to go out on my own, I still have fleets of anxiety but finding it much better to cope with. 

Sorry for all the rambling. 

My question is, is upping to 20mg going to make me have side effects again and will I eventually get back to being myself? 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

Sorry your going through this. And yes upping your dose will bring the side effects on. Anytime going up or down on this med brings in side effects. How long have you been on 10mg? Cut out caffeine and no alcohol. Drink a full glass of water with the cit and eat when taking it. This forum helped me immensely. We are here for you!

Will😎

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for your response. 

I’ve been on it just over three weeks. 

I always eat when taking it but cutting out the caffeine is an issue. Especially as I live drinking tea and coke but I could switch to decaf teabags again. (Tastes exactly the same imo). 

I’ve read a lot on here and it has given me hope.  I go on holiday in 37 days and just hope I’m feeling better by then! 

• Posted

Me too October 7th. I think you’ll be much better. I was having horrific panic attacks that lasted for an hour and came back again and again. It was crazy snd they subsided big time after 6 weeks. I had so many kinds of side effects. Scared me. Going on holiday will help and relax you.  

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean. My worst one I was in the cinema and couldn’t do anything.

I hope I’m better by then, I’ve been so worried about going on holiday. I go on the 9th! Haha. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.