Citalopram 15mg to 20mg.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, wondering if anyone has been in a similar siuation?? i have bee taking citalopram on a very gradual increase since november- i seemed to be sensitive to the tablets with increasing anxiety amongst other side effects (either that or im quite weak when it comes to meds). So, i started on 10mg alternate days and built up slowly. i am now at the point of going from 15mg/20mg alternate days to 20mg each day (i have taken 20mgs each day for 4 days now). i have had a few decent-ish days. yesterday and today i feel uneasy again. could this be due to the increase from 15mg to 20mg? would this small increase cause this even though ive been taking the drug for a while? i have feelings of heart skipping beats still (which i had before i started the citalopram) which have been checked out. i go to the gym and walk kids to school each day.

im just starting to get fed up of these up and down feelings. i start to feel that im getting there and then i feel horrible again. i just want me back!!

Sorry if this sounds a rant but im feeling disheartened by it all.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been on fluoxetine for around 18 weeks, I started on 20mg and then went up to 40mg, I am better now, but I would like to share my journey with you.

Two weeks after taking 20mg I felt I had a breakthrough but it only lasted a day, after that day I had every side effect going from pulse over 100, shaking, I was unable to sleep or eat for several weeks, and lost 3 stone in a very short time, and had low mood and no interest in anything, I was in a very dark place, after many weeks I was having one good day and several bad days, very slowly I was getting good evenings, but the next morning I was back to feeling horrible, but each day I got a small improvement, but then another bad day, it took a long time, and suddenly I started to have more interest in things around me, and started to feel happier, then I could eat very small amounts, and was sleeping longer in the mornings, it took me over 13-14 weeks to feel as though I was getting better days, I am pretty much fully recovered now, I didnt go out for many many weeks, but enjoy going shopping and out with my Husband, he has been amazingI would not have got through this otherwise.

This is the second time I have had depression, I was ok until about 2 years ago they suggested I slowly come off the fluoxetine, not long after I went down hill after having health problems, I would never come off them again, maybe have a lower dose, but I truly would not want to go down that road again.

You will get better but recovery time is different for everyone, dont ever give up this is a fight worth waiting for, I never thought I would be happy again, but I love life and fought this awful battle, you can too.

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply- very kind of you. Im glad that you can talk about your journey and appreciate you sharing it.

ive just been feeling that i should never have started these tablets in the first place! im feeling fed up of the rollercaoster. i have been off work for almost 12 weeks. i have frequent meetings/ contact with them. last week i explained that i was starting to see improvement and hopefully be back to work soon but now im dreading meeting them this week as ive been feeling quite low.

im hoping its the slight increase in meds and that it will even out soon. thanks again for replying- makes me feel less alone

• Posted

Hi Keep fighting you will get better, you are on a pretty low dose, so it may take longer to kick in, but even then you start to feel better but it doest last, you have good days and then bad days again, but you will get better but its a rocky road, but you will improve, Good Luck, think positive.

• Posted

I've always taken an anxiety medication (Buspirone) along with the 20 mg. of Citalopram and I'm pretty stable with that arrangement - dont have a lot of anxiety anymore.

• Posted

Its good you have it under control, but I wouldnt read to much into the box instructions, it mentions 6 weeks, I have been on this blog for sometime, and not many people get over depression and anxiety in that time, most it takes much longer, my Doctor didnt give me anything for anxiety, he said fluoxetine would help it

• Posted

I dont recall saying that the conditions go away in six weeks or at all. Medication helps with symptoms, it doesnt cure.

• Posted

It was just advise not saying anyone said it, but it does state in the box instructions six weeks.

I am better and along with positive thinking the fluoxetine has cured me, but it has taken many more weeks than I was led to believe, it was a very rocky road.

Dont take thing the wrong way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.