Citalopram 20mg 16 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guys im on day 16 of citalopram, had an episode of bad anxiety early december. doc put me on 20mg of cit a day and gave me 5 diazepams for sleep, the diazepam doesnt work it keeps me wide awake and more agitated. in the past couple of days i have started to feel a bit more level headed im hoping this feeling continues to grow. any advice for sleep would be very welcome, i take my pills in the morning

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hello,

Okay, as you may already be aware, Citalopram is among a class of medications known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and while prescribed primarily to treat variants of clinical depression they have been effective for some persons diagnosed with Panic Disorder and chronic anxiety with variable results. The use of sleep hypnotics and anxiolytic medications such as diazepam are generally reserved as a last resort due to their addiction potential. While five tablets would hardly constitute such a risk, among their side-effects they tend to increase the base heart rate in most individuals aside from any sedative effects. Other side-effects such as agitation are less common but can indeed occur.

Attaining restful sleep very much has to do with achieving positive effects from proper sleep architecture, meaning that all factors that relate to obtaining restful sleep are given consideration and adjustments made where necessary to obtain the full effect necessary. Generally, here are some guidelines that are important among those relevant to effective sleep architecture:

The room where you sleep should remain as dark as possible at the point you lie down to sleep. Realize that certain areas of the brain are affected by light-dark circumstances. The pineal gland, the reticulating activation system and thalamic regions of the brain work in concert with respect to the presence of light or darkness in your sleep environment and are part of the process in circadian rhythm cycle that establishes the proper cycle for wakefulness and restful sleep.

Choose a time at night that is most natural for entering the sleep cycle and do not deviate from it. Do not eat, smoke tobacco products or watch TV in bed. Make certain that bedding and your sleep environment is comfortable and that the temperature is cool as well. Distractions such as noises that may be common to your sleep environment should be attenuated altogether if possible. Regimen is the key to allowing the body to recognize and adjust to specific patterns that make it possible for release of hormones that initiate and maintain the sleep cycle. Although it's very important to maintain adequate hydration throughout the 24-hour period each day since dehydration can interfere with sleep, make certain that you've consumed sufficient liquids throughout the day and do not drink anything within 2-3 hours before lying down to sleep. Proper exercise at some point during each wake cycle is critical and although it need not be strenuous to have a positive effect, 25 minutes of moderate walking or mild aerobic exercise is enough to help establish stress reduction and avoid a build-up of muscle tension and restlessness that can negatively impact restful sleep.

Lastly, when lying down to sleep you need to practice shutting down any ruminating thoughts or anxious concerns since in all reality they can only be addressed during waking hours. While difficulty may be initially encountered, routine will ultimately permit such thought patterns to shut down at the point that you lie down to sleep. Resist becoming frustrated if ruminative circumstances are difficult to shut down and persist in avoiding their distraction and existence while in bed at the point you are attempting to enter the sleep cycle. Time will soon begin working in your favor in this regard.

The positive effects of the Citalopram, together with strict adherence to proper sleep regimen, will soon take hold and allow to to obtain restful sleep that also improves matters related to the wake cycle as well.

Best regards

• Edited

hi i got 3000mg cbd oil for sleep and pain that helps it stops me from having really bad panic attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.