Citalopram 20mg - No Appetite! Help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi - I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I've been taking Citalopram (20mg) for the past 12-13 days and I've had no appetite at all. I can barely eat anything other than softs like yogurt, banana and some light crisps like Skips. I have no energy at all. I was taking the tablets in the day to begin with which made me feel really nauseous so I switched to taking it at night which was a small improvement however, I always feel so nervous and anxious when I wake up in the morning. My body wakes me up through the anxiety. I woke up this morning after having a terribly vivid dream and threw up (nothing in me to throw up so it was pretty much just wrenching)

I'm so scared and I need some help. Someone to tell me this is normal and that it'll get better? I keep worrying there is something more wrong with me like an illness. This medication is ruining my life and I don't know what to do.

Someone please help me.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

Hi,it is all normal and stick with it. The medication is making changes in your brain and around the body,hence feeling sick,no appetite,vivid dreams etc. They are all part of the process of recovery and you are not alone, everyone who takes these kinds of medications will have exactly the same or similar experiences. The worst part occurs in the first 12 weeks usually,this is when your brain and system are trying to adjust to all the changes and it is a horrible experience,but stick with the dosage you've been prescribed and after 12 weeks you should see things settle down and improvement in your condition. The more you accept the anxiety and side effects as part of the healing process,the easier it will be. If you fight against it and worry,the harder it will be and it's hard enough to put up with anyway. Try to eat properly,no sugar,pizzas, alcohol etc exercise,walk,try deep breaths and mindfulness and acceptance,have some support and therapy if you can,anything to help you get through the worst part. Good luck and don't give up,be strong and determined and you will get better.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

you seem to know and understand this med quite a bit. im taking 7.5 mg and have been spacey and off balance /dizzy, pretty much from the start and im coming up on 7 weeks. is this a normal feeling? because it seems like not many people have this and if they do it goes away in a couple weeks, and mine hasnt.

wondering if this med is just not for me especially because im not even at 10 and feel this way. im feeling discouraged. do you have any insight on this?

• Posted

How are you taking 7.5 as the minimum is 10mg. Are you taking a liquid? Even 10mg is a very minimal dosage and usually ineffective and is increased to 20mg. 20mg is given as the minimum effective dose for depression and anxiety and the best dosage to ensure recovery. Any amount you take might have some side effects and heightened anxiety which will cause dizziness,but 7.5mg is not an effective dose if you're taking it for anxiety and depression.

• Posted

thank you for replying.

I only struggle with anxiety. I started by taking 5mg (cutting the pill) for a few days, then cut a half from the other half to get 7.5.

i tried to do 10 after 2 weeks and felt super spaced out so i went back to 7.5.

the dizziness has passed, but still feel out of it. The anxiety has calmed, i mostly feel it when i get in my head about feeling spaced.

I just notice no one else seems go have this side effect so im worried that this med just isnt for me. I am 7 weeks in and dont know if i should just keep doing what im doing til i hit 12 weeks and see how i feel, just get off or take the 10 and start over. I just cant handle being so out of it that i cant drive

• Edited

I haven't felt spaced out when taking an SSRI antidepressant,but had it terrible if I went over 12mg of CBD oil and I know how weird that feels and not nice. CBD oil can increase dopamine levels as well as Serotonin levels I found out,and raising dopamine levels is not good for anxiety. Citalopram doesn't raise dopamine,only Serotonin,but feeling dizzy and spaced out are anxiety symptoms.

With these type of medications you are going to experience worsened anxiety for quite a while,months,until things improve. Unfortunately there is no other way,and I've been through it many times,so I know how horrible it is. I would say either don't take antidepressants at all,and try and cure your anxiety by other ways, or if you really need to,bite the bullet and take the 10mg as prescribed and you'll probably have to increase to 20mg after a few weeks as what the dr. says. You may want to go back and try another antidepressant, and you could easily do that as you're on practically nothing. But they all worsen anxiety in the beginning as it is a result of raising Serotonin,and they all raise Serotonin levels. It's a horrible situation.

• Edited

thank you Ian.

the dizziness of feeling like im on a boat went away a few days ago and yesterday the spaceyness lifted as well.

In the 7 weeks that I have been on I had a few days on week 3 with major anxiety and panic. otherwise Ill be anxious maybe half the day and feel better at night.

I do feel the light headedness and dizziness from anxiety but recognize thats what it is and am getting on. I started taking the full 10 two days ago. I figured im this far in, might as well take the 10.

this is my first time on ssri's and have no idea how they work besides what ive read on here.

how would i know if i need to go up?

or if this dose is working?

my Dr asked if i wanted i wanted to go up and i said no.

im not sure if he knows much about them, he said it would work in 4-6 weeks and if i felt side effects to just stop. thinking i need a psychiatrist, maybe she will be able to guide me better.

i apologize for asking so many questions, im just clueless.

• Edited

Hi jazmin,all SSRI'S raise Serotonin levels in your brain. Serotonin is the calming neurotransmitter that has many functions in brain and body. Citalopram is one of those SSRI'S that also has antihistamine qualities. Antihistamines calm the mind making Citalopram a common choice for anxiety. Unfortunately when you first take an SSRI and it raises Serotonin,due to complicated reasons it will make your anxiety much worse until the brain and body become used to the changes and everything settles down. There is no way round it for everyone. Because of this it is recommended to start low and increase slowly to reduce these effects. 10mg is prescribed first for this reason,then is usually increased to 20mg as 20mg is given as the minimum effective dosage for the majority of people.

4-6 weeks is given as a guide to tell patients how long it will take to see improvement,but again,for a lot of people with anxiety it can take a lot longer than that. Everything depends on the individual,and for me it tends towards 11-12 weeks for everything to settle down and to start having proper improvement. It is a long and hard process between heightened anxiety and side effects in the first few months,hence support forums and groups where people going through the same experience can help each other to get through the bad times. Wether you decide to stay on 10mg or go to 20mg,and I would recommend 20mg if your anxiety is bad and have depression alongside it,then give that dosage many months to work and to not go higher than 20mg. Once you go down the road of starting antidepressants for anxiety,you must get through the initial months of feeling worse,but be warned,if you do go up to 20mg it will be like starting the clock at day 1 again as that will increase Serotonin further. Hope you get better,good luck.

• Posted

thank you for taking the time to explain all of this Ian. It has been so helpful!

• Edited

everything that ian said is true! i had no appetite for the first 3 months. i would just try to eat small healthy snacks to keep my energy up like dates and bananas. by the evening i would feel a bit better and would manage a small dinner. i got my appetite back after 14 weeks; yours will come back too. the first 12 or so weeks are the toughest for everyone - the side effects will come and go. most of us noticed big improvements in our 4th month. i know right now that feels like a long time but the days and weeks will pass and week by week you will feel stronger. i had the dry retching in the morning too for the first 12 weeks and it then stopped.

• Posted

Hi Yes, i lost 2 1/2 stone in the first 2 weeks, no appetite and heaving every morning, ive been on 40 mg now from 30 for 14 weeks and appetite is pretty good some days but then terrible on others ..still a bit anxious in the mornings too .

• Posted

ive been on this medication for 10 weeks, the first few weeks i could bearly bring myself to eat. now being on week 10 i would say i can eat but i never feel full, even tho i could of just eaten a massive roast dinner for example. my stomach doesnt make a sound but i know i need to eat. i dont really crave food either. its hard to get my head around that its the medication and it triggers my anxiety. most of all the other side effects have more or less worn off. how are you finding it? i hope this helps.

• Edited

Hey Meg,

Trust me I know its difficult, its also a pain when its you going through it and not someone else because when its you, its harder to understand. Right now you're probably overwhelmed, with the anxiety, lack of sleep, energy and the funny feelings you get in your head from these meds.

I also remember feeling like nobody else understands, like i was really lonely. I spent a lot of time on the internet looking for comfort but finding loads of scary reviews.

When i started I didn't have much of an appetite either, it took me a while to get back to normal eating habbits but you've got to push through and eat because you need it, even if you dint feel hungry. You'll feel much better sooner if you give your body what it needs.

I also completely get that right now you just need someone to tell you you're fine. You are absolutely fine! This is normal i promise and you will feel so much better soon 😁 Stay positive, eat well, sleep as much as you can.

I've only just discovered this website but I'm currently at home struggling a little bit (I've just restarted citalopram, I'm on day 2). I'm on the same journey as you are. So feel free to message whenever 😊 Currently led on the sofa watching TV in my PJ's which definitely helps!

• Posted

hey hun

look at my first posts on here about starting on cit!! I WAS EXACTLY LIKE YOU. please do not worry the morning anxiety is just the worse thing isnt it! i used to spring out of bed at 5am 6 if i was lucky and basically climbed the walls for hours. appetite!? youre joking arnt you! i managed a bite of a banana with my pill in the morning. i then got through the rest of the day on ginger biscuits!

let me tell you this though you will soon be back to your normal self. it takes about 3 months though minimum! you will start getting moments of feeling yourself. those moments will become hours and then days... keep going and try to relax through the side affects.

emma

• Posted

hi @meg65357 how are u feeling on citalopram now? im on my 2nd week of 20mg and having exactly the same symptoms as you cant eat sleep or do anything its getting me so down... i was on citalopram before and it helped very quickly last time my anxiety is through the roof and my shaking is terrible any advice please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.