Citalopram 20mg please help me!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I was on 10mg of citalopram for 2 weeks and then now 6 days into 20mg and I feel worse.

I'm scared of the increased anxiety, intrusive thoughts and bad thoughts about hurting myself. I'm lethargic and just generally feeling like I don't know what to do.

I felt kind of ok for the first week on 10mg but then I slowly went down hill as if it were building up in my system. I just hate this increased anxiety but I don't want to go back to square one again.

Has anyone been through this and managed to feel better after? I could really do with some help and positive thoughts as I'm not really getting too much elsewhere and I live on my own as well as not being at work due to these symptoms sad

If anyone could talk about their start with citalopram I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi lucidvio i was on citalopram for 3 weeks and sorry to say they were horrible feeling sick and couldent tolarate them i came of them and went on setraline what have been brillant hadly no side effects and anxity starting to go away if i was you i would try something else hun good look liz x
  • Posted

I felt increased anxiety from the beginning with citalopram I'm now on 20mg. The intrusive thoughts and anxiety appear to have calmed down after a few weeks. I have been on it about 5 weeks. At first it appeared to make the symptoms worse, But eventually I notice a difference little by little. I try to go for walk but can't always do it. It did get better with me. Hang in there your not alone.
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

It's good to know that things got better for you after some time.

So it hightend your anxiety before it made it better? I didn't think I could get any worse but now I don't feel like leaving the house and I didn't have much of a problem with that before I started taking the tablets and I have a really important appointment tomorrow so that's making me even more anxious.

I hope things continue to get better for you.

• Posted

Hi Lucidvio

Initially when starting these meds you will feel worse before you get better.  I take these and I recovered from depression, anxiety, racing thoughts etc some years ago.  The meds heighten your symptoms at first, but they will ease off as you continue to let them build in your system.

Its worth progressing with them for a few months before deciding if they're for you or not.  Everyone suits different SSRI's.

SSRI's take a long time to work for many people, so you do need lots of patience and perseverance.  Hang on in there, it will get better.  It's all worth it in the end.

K x

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I'm just feeling at the end of my tether with all of this since it's been going on for months and now that I'm trying to help myself it feels horrible that it seems to be making me worse.

I hate the feeling of wanting to cry so often and like a ball of hurt in my chest followed by all the other anxiety symptoms. I just want to feel better and not so full of guilt, worry and horrible thoughts.

I wish they didn't make you feel worse before you get better as to me it's just making me think it'll never happen sad

• Posted

Maybe you should speak to you GP about your worries they may be able to give you something short term. It did get better but it took a little while I'm still struggling but no where near as much as I was last week or the week before that. Small steps.
    • Posted

Depression and anxiety is a horrible illness - I've had many tears in the past over this, felt absolutely dreadful, would drag myself out of bed every day fearing yet another day of symptoms, awful anxiety, stupid scary thoughts ..... all which went on for years.  When I started on the SSRI's I slowly got better and felt like myself again.  The meds really are very good, and yes unfortunately the initial effects can make you feel much worse, but it will wear off, even if you can't see it at the moment.

Theres lots of people on this site who will support you throughout your journey on these meds.  It might seem real bad at the moment, but remember you are now beginning to get better. x

• Posted

It's my understanding it takes time for these ssri's to be effectve and that there could be a temporary period of adjustment until they kick in and it could take a few weeks.  It these current symptoms are really difficult try to ask your gp for something short term until the citalopram starts to work well.  Sometimes a little anti anxiety benzodiazepine helps.  Keep the hope up that the citalopram will work well soon.  If not, there are other ssri's that could work better.  This is a problem that these ssri's take time to kick in.  I wish they'd work right away.  I'm switching from inneffective venlafaxine to fluoexitine right now and am going through similiar difficulties in getting myself to a tolerable point.  You just have to hang in there and do things that you can do to try to alleviate the pain and help yourself fall into some bit of comfort.
  • Posted

Hang on in there if you can I've been on citalopram 20mg and like you I felt worse at the beginning but now feel much better. I've now been taking them for 3 months. Mood is much better and nowhere near as anxious good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.