Citalopram 20mg still anxious - up dose or swap to Mirtazapine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

Have been taking Citalopram 20mg for 4.5 weeks but am still really anxious and not sleeping. Felt really terrible a couple of days ago and saw GP. She said I could try Mirtazapine instead. Depression has lifted a lot but anxiety is still there.

Worried about changing and wonder if I should try an increased dose of Citalopram instead? 

Anyone who's experienced anything similar please help! Thanks. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It can take up to a couple of months for them to start working. Maybe longer. It depends on the person. I would stick it out another week or 2, maybe ask to increase to 30mg if it doesnt improve. It will though... Im on 40mg now and they are better than 20 but i find 30mg best for me as 40 can make me feel quite numb to even positive feelings etc. You just havent waited long enough thats all smile xxxx
  • Posted

If you change now you will have to start all over again. When citalopram is already in your system now. I would definitly stick it out a couple of weeks hun... xxx
  • Posted

Hi Gracey, I had the same experience this time last year, after a month or so I was given the option of changing to Mirtazapine but after reading the side effects decided to stay with the Citalopram and I am glad I did as within a few weeks it started to work, I am still on 20mg and now feel fine. Hope you manage to stick it out. as I am sure it will soon start to work. xx
  • Posted

Hi l started on 10 mg l got bettttter on 20 mg but had to go up to 40 mg for my aanxiety to varnish so it would be better to try a increased dose before changing the drug, cheers
    • Posted

I agree or you will have to go through it all again with a new one... Im on 40mg too but think 30mg is actually best for me. You will find the right dose for you where you feel the best you can... Just stick with it.xxxxxxx
  • Posted

Thanks all. Sounds like everyone thinks I should stick with it a while longer so will give 30mg a go I think before making any changes. It's SO hard though isn't it? Never felt so awful in my life :-( 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.