Citalopram 20mg - take morning or night?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all - I'm day 4 into starting Citalopram again and I'm taking it at around 9am. It's making me very drowsy from about 2 hours afterwards for the rest of the day. Has anyone switched to taking it at night? If so after how long into the course? I really don't want sleep disturbances at the moment hence the morning dosage. Many Thanks.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take mine at 10:30 am and get a,little tired but I like taking it then. If things change maybe I'll change but not now

• Posted

I've always taken it at night!

Perhaps you should ask your doctor, to be sure, though.

• Posted

Tess, my Dr just switched me from Ativan to Clonaxepam. I took my first one this morning and it really made me tired and I feel no anxiety at all, which is the first time in months.

Do you know anything about Clonaxepam?

• Posted

I'm not surprised. Clonazepam is pretty much the strongest benzo. Depends on the dose, of course. It's difficult to get off all benzos, but get yourself well first, Diane.

Unfortunately I know far too much about benzos - having been addicted to them all for forty years - but the good news is that I'm finally tapering off and doing really well. It would help if you told me what dose of lorazepam you were on and what dose of clonazepam you've just started??                                                      love from Tess xx

• Posted

Thank you Tess,

I was taking 5mg of Lorazepam and now on 5mg of Clonaxepam.

I actually felt normal today.

All the best for you too!

Dian

• Posted

5mg clonazepam would put a horse to sleep!

No wonder you feel so......floaty!

How about taking it in two doses a day?

Be a bit careful with clonazepam, Diane. If you take it with some other meds you can get hallucinations. I did once. I saw little men dancing on the floor. I really enjoyed it but I doubt if it's good for you.

• Posted

Thanks. I think they gave it to me because I was in a constant state of anxiety. My BP went crazy in the psychiatrist's office. With heat flashes through my body.

I am on other meds due to a heart procedure I had in feb. Basically I am suffering from a type of PTSD and until my Stent gets settled in after a year they are protecting my heart I think.

My bp kept shooting up to 171/108 in seconds.

Yesterday after one dose I had an almost totally normal day. I will be careful and take care with use.

Thank you Tess xx

• Posted

Hey David,

I was prescribed that too and Sertraline, I spent a whole weekend in bed, so I stopped altogether!

i saw the doc again who said I could take it anytime, as suited me better.. obviously if it puts you to sleep, take it before bed, good night sleep assured..

• Posted

Ooh interesting, I too have been taking this and wondered if evening would be better?

any extra advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

I asked my doctor today, after writing the earlier post. He said to take it at night if it made me sleepy during the day. I reminded him that he suggested that himself when he started me on it -lol - so he said it didn't really matter. Which moves us all on slightly, I suppose........

• Posted

Hey! I'm on the same dosage and I take mine at night. I never have a problem falling asleep with it.

• Posted

I too took mine last night and yay works a dream for making me sleepy. Thanks
  • Posted

There has to be a starting point. Tell your doc is your still having anxiety problems, or feeling so tired. I would give it at least 2-3  weeks. Glad to here your moving forward. You will get to feeling bett soon. Keep in contact with your doc. If you don't tell them, they don't know. Good job! I take all my meds at night.

• Posted

Hi David,

Did you start at 20mg or a lower dose and build it up.

It takes awhile for things to settle down.

I'd ask your doctor,

take care

Sxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.