Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for four months. I started on 10mg, then 15mg and now 20mg for the past three weeks. I feel worse than ever with anxiety and depression. Not sure whether I need to up them or change them.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i would talk to your doctor or try and lower it again
    • Posted

Thanks Jacqualine. Spoke with Doc for about two seconds on phone. He said come off them over three days. Needless to say, I will do it slowly. I've no faith in any of them!
  • Posted

They effect m that way too but my dr said that they would more then likely make things worse first but to stay on them for 6 months which i did an still no change so i stopped taking them and ive not take an anti depressant since an i wont until the dr finds something that actually works.
    • Posted

Spoke with a doc today. Told him how I was feeling and he said, okay, stop them over three days??? I've just slept for five hours. Have been sick and feel really unwell. I've just taken half and will wean off. Never again! 
  • Posted

Some medications will never work and we all know most if not all medications have side effects.  I suggest you ask for a change. 
    • Posted

Tried Prozac and a few others. Prozac made me suicidal. I'm weaning off these now.
  • Posted

Are you doing anything else apart from taking citalopram?
    • Posted

Starting EMDR tomorrow. Have tried CBT but when I'm over anxious I can't think.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret, I had the same problem on citalopram but I only lasted 5 days as the side effects were quite bad, I went back to my doctor and got changed onto venlafaxine and a beta blocker.

My personal experience is that venlafaxine did have some similar side effects, but in my case not half as bad as the citalopram.

You must also remember that whenever you change the dose of an antidepressant, whether up ir down, you will experience side effects that will always last between 4 and 8 weeks.

Maybe you're just changing your dose too soon so you're experiencing overlapping side effects. If this is the case I would suggest you give the citalopram a little more time.

If you're really feeling that it's no longer benefiting you being on the citalopram then I would suggest changing your antidepressant ASAP as you would obviously get over the new set of side effects sooner.

I'm afraid all antidepressants come with similar side effects that last about the same time, it's simply your willingness to get through them.

I've been on venlafaxine for 3 months now, upped my dose once from 75mg to 150mg, I feel much better, almost all my anxiety has gone, I only get brief moments on it on a night, and the beta blockers have stopped my panic atta ks dead in their tracks.

I hope you're anxiety eases soon.

Danielle x

• Posted

Thank you Danielle. I've upped them slowly by 5mg over four months. I shouldn't be feeling like this. I'm weaning off now. 
    • Posted

Only your physician can direct you.  Trust her/him.  Also, try to use essential oil such as lavender, exercise, even if you only feel like staying in bed all day long.  Don't do it.  Take showers or baths several times a day.  Massage your feet and legs.  Try to meditate even for 5 minutes.  Don't give up. You have to fight.  It took me 2 weeks to survive the terrible side effects... A long list of them.  After 19 days I am starting to feel better.  I still experience anxiety, depression and sadness but these moments are rarer and the attacks less powerful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.