Citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I am on 40mg citalopram at present and due to come off it in a couple of weeks (40, then 20, then 10) before starting  sertraline.

Can anyone share their experiences of citalopram withdrawl and/or starting sertraline?

Many thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, how long have you been taking cit 40? I have previously dropped from 40mg to 20mg and found this was too big of a drop and the withdrawal symptoms for me were terrible. Brain zaps, dizziness, low mood all of which I now know was discontinuation syndrome. From experience it tell me to take it slowly and one day at a time. 

I have been taking cit 40mgfor a long time maybe that's why I have the bad withdrawal. 

I hope this gives you some idea hun. 

• Posted

In varying doses, since 2002! I have brain zaps if I miss a day. Hate them. But I got told to cut down from 40 to 20 to 10 to 0 (one week at a time).
    • Posted

Hi hun, I've been on cit 40 since my doc changed me from Prozac at around 2007 and I wish I had never changed. Doctors do not understand the withdrawal that we go through to get off these. You might be different from me (hopefully) 😃 and find it easier. There is a website called surviving antidepressants that might help and if you have a look at the coming off citalopram sad discussion here that may give you some idea.  Good luck hun 
    • Posted

Thanks! How are you finding citalopram in general compared to prozac?
  • Posted

I find i am very distant and emotionless almost one flat mood. i have no sex drive, they cause terrible acid in my stomach, amongst other things. from what i remember of prozac i was very different to this but i have been on cit for a long time.
  • Posted

Never taken citalopram but have been on sertraline for about 11 mths, 50 mgs at night. I had some side effects for the first week or so at first like nausea and a muzzy head. I do well on it, at the beginning I felt a bit emotionless but it did help take the edge of my anxiety and helped me sleep better etc. hope you change over without too many probs and the sertraline works for you.

good luck

theresa 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.