Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been given citalopram does anyone know what and if they help you l and what to expect from them I'm anxious .!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Lots of people rate them very highly Carole. Some people don't get any side  effects but I think the main ones that people do get are dry mouth,,increased anxiety. The side effects don't tend to last long...It's just a matter of waiting for them to get into your system. 

It may take a little while for them to start to work. Some people feel the benefits very soon,others it takes a little longer.

I was on them many years ago for depression/anxiety and they helped pull me out of a deep dark hole.

There are always people here to offer advice if you have any concerns.

Like any antidepressant,it's a waiting game and you have to be quite patient but I'm sure in time the benefits will be apparent xx

• Posted

Thank you I will start taking them, yes I've been anxious about everything

i will be handing in my notice from a job I couldn't handle .  

I don't know if I would if I was okay . But it's something I cannot do. It was catering clearing tables and answering the chefs bell to serve food every five mins. Impossible. I know I've done the right thing as a couple of days

i hated it. So hopefully we won't suffer from lack of money too long as I will be searching for another job. But I will wait until I feel better.

we are waiting on council list for flat and couple come up so wait and see.

thismwill  be a good turning point as we are in private rent far too expensive,....

• Posted

Hi carol

I've been on and off citilapram 20 mg for 15 years and I have to say they really do help me! I suffer from gad and health anxiety and get all the usual symptoms! When I'm feeling better I get myself off the meds only for it to return over time so now I've decided to stay on them for life!!!! I'm now in a great place with absolutely no symptoms!!!! However the meds are not for everyone! And to begin with you will probably feel worse with even more syptoms not nice!! But if you do decide to take them be patient as they take time to work! Good luck and take care!!!!

• Posted

Hi simon and Carole. - I've got bad anxiety related to certain social situations but things in general as it effects my sleep. I've been on fluoxetine for nearly 5,weeks 40mg but don't feel any less anxious. I tried them because a friend mine took them, but for OCD. I know 5 weeks isn't a long time on these things but feel like I should start on the best medication for anxiety.  I know a lot of people who say they're very good for lessening anxiety in the day and at night. What are your thoughts?
    • Posted

Hi David. Never been on these tablets myself, but my mum has for as long as i can remember. They work for her. I know with some people they can take upo to a couple of months to get properly into your system and to start to see an improvement. I would definitly stick with them. I have also heard better reviews of Fluxoetine compared to citalopram in regards to side effects. I have also heard from numerous people and a lot of people on here that they are also easier to come off than cit and give less side effects. Just what i have heard as like i say i have never been on these tabs.... Stick with it smile. I would say if you dont see an improvement within the next 4 weeks, go back to your gp and ask if its worth considering a different type, as i think you may have given it long enough to start working by then smile xxx
  • Posted

Citalopram are amazing for me. Without them i am an emotional wreck. I have been on them for about 4 years now. Starting on 10mg, quickly increasing to 20, then 30 and im now on 40mg. At first, for about a week i felt very sick and tired due to the tablets getting into my system. Now i dont really suffer many effects from them and didnt when i increased my dose either. I sometimes have waves of a nauseus feeling but this only lasts about 30 seconds once or twice a day if that, so i can cope. I sweat slightly more on the higher dose. TBH im lowering my dose as i find 40mg just makes me numb to everything and cant feel happy on them either. 30mg are great for me. Everyone is so different so I wouldnt want you to take my word for how you will react to them, but i could quite confidently say that once your through the first lot of side effects and they are in your system you will see an improvement with your anxiety smile ...  xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.