Citalopram - 3 days in feeling worse

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum & also new to antidepressants. I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram due to acute anxiety. I have taken them for 3 days now & I feel worse than ever. I can't eat, I have no energy & I am even more anxious!! The weird thing is it wears off around 2pm & I then peak up a little and am able to eat a small amount, but then when I wake up in the morning my whole body is buzzing with anxiety. My mind is actually quite calm but it's all the physical signs of anxiety that are killing me! I am at the stage now where I just need some reassurance that they will eventually work & that the horrible physical side effects will wear off. I want to start running& eating healthy - but it's completely out of the question at the moment! Anyone else been through the same thing?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I can honestly say that there are many of us on this forum who have felt the way you do and sorry to say it does get worse before it gets better. Citalopram can and in most cases will heighten anxiety while your body adjusts to the medication. Different people have different side effects but for me the worst of them were over by the two week point. Strangely enough I did not experience the loss of energy and what I call lack of motivation until further into my treatment...probably close to the 2 to 2 1/2 month point which is when I called my doctor and asked for a different med or something that could be added on as I felt the depression part of my condition was worsening. He said no just give it time so I did and within probably a month that had pretty much subsided and at that point is when I began to really feel myself start to feel better emotionally. I am now at just over the 4 1/2 month point.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, it is very reassuring. It's just frustrating that I feel worse now than I did before I started taking them! It makes me question if I would be better off without them - but all of the posts I have read have said to battle on for a few weeks. But a few weeks feels like a lifetime at the moment. The dry mouth thing is also very annoying & makes me feel pretty disgusting! I guess I just have to try and enjoy the three hours a day when I can actually move & do stuff. Thanks again

• Posted

hi as ellen said this is a common occurence unfortunately, but because you have started correctly at 10mg so are not overdoing it with taking too much of the med before you are used to it, those anxiety feelings should ease down soon
    • Posted

Thank you so much sun43. I can't wait for things to settle down. Feels like a nightmare at the moment.

• Posted

Everyone's initial reaction is different. I started taking Cita10 on a Tuesday. On Saturday, I sent an email to my doctor saying that maybe this wasn't for me. It was a weekend and didn't expect to hear back from him, but apparently, he sent my pharmacy a different medication. I'm glad I didn't find out until much later because on Sunday (the next day) I woke up feeling much differently and better. I will say that when I started taking the med, the area where I live was under a hurricane warning (impending landfall) and I was a basket case! A few days later I felt the urge to move a bit and was on my elliptical for a mere 5 minutes. I took it as a victory and slowly increased my time over time. The no-appetite thing was odd. I had to eat regardless of my not being hungry, because I knew my body could not operate on a drastic fast. Smoothies were good because there was less lingering of food prep and eating. I slowly started introducing the foods I know I like and that have a strong presence - like garlic, onions, etc. to boost my appetitite. However I needed to lose weight, so I didn't stress over it. I figured that it would pass and my love for food would return. One thing that didn't return was my addiction to caffeine. One day it just wasn't alluring to me, so I went with it. However, I did suffer from massive headaches which baffled me and I attributed to the medication, until I realized I was going through caffeine withdrawals. Hang in there! However, if after giving it time it still doesn't feel right for you, don't hesitate to contact your doctor and consider another medication. :-)

• Posted

Thanks picachu. Yes the appetite thing is awful, especially as I have read that a healthy diet can help. I can only manage some meal replacement shakes & a few bites at night time at the moment. I was quite slim to begin with but now I look terrible. My doctor assures me that my appetite will come back - I really hope so because I really miss my food!

• Posted

Hi this is my 2nd time round on citalopram and the first time my anxiety increased the first week or so ..but then they kicked in! And I felt awesome. That was 7 years ago.

Anyway I'm currently back on them at 10mg, day 10 and also have horrendous anxiety! - I'm keeping on it though as I know I'll feel better soon, it does feel awful though! In the mean time when I feel the anxiety bubbling I do deep breaths and it brings it down and drinking chamomile tea. But it's still there in the back ground just helps to cope.

I'm also worse in a morning then it lessens as the day goes on. I find myself rushing to the toilet aswell. It's the fight or flight response our body's naturally do, its bonkers!

Personally I would say keep on them as it will lessen and you will feel better soon, but if it's too much to cope with you can see your gp and see what the say smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. My Doctor told me it would take a couple of weeks to kick in, but I didn't expect it to get worse in the meantime. Yes mornings & early afternoons for me are horrendous - but now I am sat here I feel completely normal & chilled out. But I know when I wake up again tomorrow it will start all over again. It's like Groundhog Day. Hopefully it will ease up soon for the both of us x

• Posted

Ground hog day! 😂😂 that's made me smile! Because I'm currently getting ready for bed thinking 'here we go again' - it does ease though! Quite quickly to!

When you get the awful anxiety it's worth thinking about what goes through your mind? If there is any triggers there? I turn them round with positive affirmations.

Also as you fall asleep tell yourself 'as I sleep my body and mind will heal' I do that every night, it's great to tap into the subconscious mind 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Then in a morning, I say to myself 'dear subconscious you may turn off the anxiety button in my mind, I am safe, I am loved'

• Posted

Don't worry! Unfortunately it is something your body has to adjust to fit a couple weeks. I'm starting week two of my second stint of it myself. If you can grind though it it you will be fine a a couple weeks. Trust me. I'm saying that to myself as well. Did the the dr prescribe Xanax or anything. That usually takes the edge off fir a bit. Don't worry you will be fine.

• Posted

That's exactly how it works and you will get better.

But it gets a lot worse first 

Give it time

look after yourself. Eat well Sleep much as you need. Try meditation mondfulness A short walk in the sunshine first thing in your day 

its going to take several weeks to maybe even months

Everyones different 

actually ....

Have a look at a thread I started called Sucess on Citalopram 

• Posted

Relax,.....your anxiety is getting the better of you.....the 10 mgs shouldn't be having that much of an effect.....try stopping the celexa and see if you are feeling the smae...or try cutting them in half and taking 5 mgs.   Your system may be very sensitive to it....try taking it at a different time.....before bed or when you get up and then try to forget about it....you are making yourself sick.......but  you can quit if you like and just get a little clonazepam for the anxiety........have a nice day.

Ray

• Posted

second line error   "feeling the same"    ooops

• Posted

Hi, give it time - very difficult to do I know. I remember that the first week or so I felt worse, felt like I'd overdone caffeine & eaten a load of colourful sweets. I felt nauseous for a couple of  few weeks and very tired for longer.  It took a couple of months before I felt calmer and and started to feel a bit optimistic.

One of the responders found they need the loo more frequently but I found the opposite. I had a nervous bladder from when I changed schools as a child. Oddly, I found each time I was pregnant and latterly, since taking Citalopram, my mood is much more positive and loo visits not too frequent. 

Wishing you all the best - hope you feel much better soon!

• Posted

I've just joined too. I've recently had my citalopram increased about 3 weeks ago and the side effects have calmed down now I totally understand how you feel. I can't eat either and normally in afternoon felt better. Last week my appetite came back but unfortunately had a few drinks at a night out and have now been anxious for 3 days! Keep with it and I'm sure you'll see a difference soon. I found walking helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.