Citalopram 30mg & quetiapine 50mg withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all,

basically I've been on both of the above for 6 - 7 months and they've caused me to have anxiety over my mental health and depression which is severe around period time, so the physc nurse believes they've actually unbalanced my hormones and is causing my moods etc to actually magnify...

last thursday under the advice of a phsyciatric nurse I dropped my citalopram down to 20mg from 30, and my quetiapine from 50mg to 25mg

the past few days I've felt very sick mostly morning when its bad, wake up soaked in cold sweat and headachey, i also have extremley vivid dreams and nightmares and I dont sleep well at all, I also wake up with a bad stomach and have to go to the toilet where I'll have loose stools sometimes dirreah.

my question is, how do I know which med is causing this withdrawal and how long it will last?

I have been told to stay at 20mg citalopram for 2 weeks then drop down to 10, and the same with the quetiapine, stay at 25mg for 2 weeks then stop altogether so I have 1 week left until I drop again.

I've been on a Facebook page called "citalopram/celexa should be illegal" and have read alot of horror stories about withdrawal from citalopram being very delayed, and the horror stories I've read have left me scared for my life to be honest is it rare or usual for it to be delayed as much as a month?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i hate to tell you but stay of the internet including facebook.especially when you are weaning off Psychiatric meds.take care .i made that mistake in my Beginning stages of ssri journey .my doctor prescribe me to stay off the internet.

• Posted

everyone's telling me that they're only the worse cases, but I'm so scared as just want to be off these horrible meds and be back to myself xx

• Posted

Try looking at surviving anti depressants got lot of useful advice about tapering. Think anything on facebook tends to be horror stories.

• Posted

yeah but I find they all reccomend snail slow tapers and dont agree with anyone who tapers the way I've been told to, I took the 50mg of quetiapine last night instead of 25 and dont feel sick or have a headache this morning and didnt wake up soaked in sweat so maybe just a sign I need to go slower than recommended on that one xx

• Posted

II was made to cold turkey zopiclone on very small dose and still suffering 16 months later so think there is something to be said for slowish taper. Idon't have physical symptoms so cant comment on that but even with slowish taper my anxiety still not great. I want be off them too can understand how you feel but think will be rare to find anyone recommend fast taper on these sites .

• Posted

my anxiety is really bad today and I'm getting cold sweats and feeling off, it's been over just over a week since I decreased to 20mg

• Posted

iI'm not great today either. Hope someone else will advise you does as seem a big drop from 30 to 20 mg, I I only took 10mg so lot less to come off, would imagine trying to come off both at once would rack up your anxiety. Think I'm getting the waves and windows at moment. Hope things soon improve for you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.