Citalopram 30mg withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all, I am due to taper off my citalopram tomorrow, my phsyciatric nurse and phsyciatrist are adamant they want me to go from 30 to 20mg, stay at 20mg for 2 weeks, then down to 10mg for 2 weeks, then nothing... has anyone done this and been fine? the meds are actually making me depressed and anxious which I wasnt before taking them, I want to follow their advice as I want off these meds asap so I can go back to work after 6 months of being off and have my life back... anyone done it this way after 6 months and been fine? please dont comment telling me not to taper this way becuase I need to.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yeah I'm just scared I'll end up just being like this forever, like the meds have permanently damaged me you know?

• Posted

I know how you feel I have been worried the awful zopiclone gave me permanent brain damage. Having done lot research seems to take long time to recover from both AD and sleeping pills. I'm glad I'm coming off them as even though not great not as bad as I have been last few months. Keep trying tell myself it's just the drug withdrawal making me feel like this and everyone says we will all eventually recover. Doctors hand out these meds too readily I think hope you soon improve x

• Posted

how long were you on citalopram can I ask? I've only been on it 6 months, just over 3 months at 30mg xx

• Posted

I was on it 2 months swapped to sertraline for 2 months as it was affecting my hair but that gave me the OCD so swapped back to citalopram. So about 6 months on meds in total didnt have any improvement at all and gave me worse symptoms. Funny I was worried if it had worked all symptoms would come back if I stopped it as didnt want to stay on it long term. I would agree with others bit longer taper would helpful. Been tapering off nearly 5 weeks and about 4 days on the 2.5mg. The OCD definitely improving a tiny bit and do feel bit more hopeful, just felt I would never improve on the meds, so coming off definitely helping in my case. Glad I tried but do think they may have hindered the recovery from zopiclone a bit just know not to take them in future in my case x

• Posted

the worst mistake of my life being on these meds, when I get really bad I cant function let alone care for my 2 year old... god knows what I'm gunna do when partner returns to work if coming off doesnt work... I'm so scared I'll just be like this forever xx

• Posted

I wish I'd never gone on them too just made zopiclone withdrawal whole lot worse. I would try and taper fairly slowly if you can to try lessen withdrawal symptoms . Being made to just stop zopiclone screwed up my life so I'm playing it safe. I'll hopefully be able come off in about another 3 weeks or so. We just do what the doctors advise what we think is best at the time but realising they need to be lit better informed about these meds. Sure we will both get through it just have accept recovery might be baby steps for a while.

• Posted

SHave you got any family or friends that help with your little one while you are going through withdrawal ? i saw a psychotherapist just before lockdown who was really great but only skype now.. Therapy can be great help to some people. I know how you feel, but hopefully once you start cutting dose you will improve, just do it gradually. Iwas in a bad place for long time but last couple days def bit improvement there is hope. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.