Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Advice please

I initially posted on here in November 2014 when I started with 20mg cit therefore I'm now into my 6/7 week. A massive thanks to all of you that took the ime to reply to me. I did mention in my initial post that I had suffered none of the nasty/unpleasant side effects which I indeed do count myself extremely fortunate that this is the case.....well actually if I'm honest I have put on half a stone in weight, therefore having never done so over previous festive periods may I ask is weight gain an issue with taking cit.

If it helps I take mine in the morning but I was thinking if it increases hunger pangs would it be better to take it at night time ie when I'm asleep I cant really go and raid the fridge (lol).

Seriously I would appreciate anyone's advice since it may be it is just a festive thing or the fact some people do put on weight whereas others loose it. The other thing I'm considering is that when I go to see my GP in a couple of weeks is to ask to come off cit since I think I am coming to terms with the issues that led me to start taking the medication. To some this may sound somewhat selfish but I have to be honest and say I really have no desire to remain on the medication for no longer than is necessary.

I would appreciate anyones advice re how they went about doing so alternatively if anyone is of the opinion that I am too early down the line to do so I would of course welcome any comments any of you may have. Please forgive me I do not wish to sound in anyway disrespectful to anyone but I am in a bit of a conundrum regarding the matter

Regards to you all

Eggmond

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eggmond.  So glad to hear you haven't had too many issues with your starting the cit.  Weight gain may be as a result of taking it.  In some it slows the metabolism so calories aren't burned off so quickly, in others its just that being calmer and less stressed their interest in food returns so they eat more.  Easiest thing is just to increase exercise levels, which will produce endorphins so will have a double benefit in making you feel even better.

Re stopping them, please do think this through and discuss fully with your doctor.  Your current feeling of coming to terms with issues and being in a better place may be solely as a result of taking them and it would be sad if those benefits and good feelings were lost by stopping the meds.  In the end it will be your personal choice in your personal circumstances but please do listen to your doctor's advice and take that into consideration before making any decision.  I'm not by the way what could be called a 'fan' of SSRIs - I had very adverse reactions to them and couldnt continue but I do appreciate they work perfectly for some and as you appear to be very fortunate in terms of side effects, why ruin a good thing?  Good luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Eggmond

Great to hear from you again and equally great that you're doing well on them.  Oh how fab you had no side effects!  Envious lol. confused

People do report of weight gain on this medication, though it didn't happen to me and I've taken them for 16 years.  I have gained a teeny amount over time but think it's just an age thing :-)  Maybe it affects some.

As Loxie says, maybe it slows metabolism or makes you feel more relaxed and slower, or maybe they're making you feel hungrier and so eating more?  Yes definitely more exercise will help and increase the endorphins, our happy hormones.

Personally I'd stay on the medication for at least a year for good measure, so it really takes a good hold, or maybe you could just maintain your well being at a lower dose.  I think it's too early yet.  Whatever you do though, don't just stop them as you'll be very ill.  These have to be withdrawn very slowly.  Be prepared too for withdrawl side effects.

You can take this medication for life if need be, they're not addictive.  People have to take all sorts of lifetime meds for ailment, and if needed for depression too, then so be it.

Hope all goes well and let us know what you do, and how you get on.confused

Best wishes

K xx

• Posted

Kate

Hi and thank you for the advice you have given me this time and also for my intial post.

I note your advice re taking Cit for a period of 12 months... deep down something tells me that the advice you have given me seems reasonable and sound. I appreciate that it is not a quick fix thing but I can't help thinking that I am letting myself and my loved ones down by not facing this issue head on and without the need for medication.

I have this theory (it may seem daft to some) that once I get to the end and that when I stop with the medication my anxiety/worry will still be there and it was just the fact that the cit was masking it whilst I was taking it.

That said I also keep telling myself do what your told and it will get better..... I have to admit I am more of myself than what I was 6/7 weeks ago.

I also note your comment re stopping gradually. I would obviously take the advice of my GP when the time comes (but I would guess my GP's advice would be exactly the same as yours re it).

I guess I'm just entrenched with my prinicples that I should be strong and say I'm a tough old cookie and thatI can beat this, when in reality I should accept that those that know better than me have recognised that I need a kick start so to speak to get me there. 

I just wanted to say thank you for being very supportive and also for the advice

Eggmond

• Posted

Hi Eggmond.  Your concerns are very valid and its very understandable to feel as you do.  However, it's most certainly not any kind of 'failure' to need to take medication for an illness - thnk of insulin dependent diabetics and those on heart medication long term etc.  SSRIs adjust seratonin levels in the brain, this is as much a physiological matter as it is psychological.  You have a medical need to help adjust those levels which isn't just a case of facing issues at all.  The meds won't mask the problem, they will physically adjust the chemical levels in your body and allow it to function normally.  In some people, the body gets its own balance back after a period of time and the meds can be successfully stopped, in others they need to take these longer term to keep that balance correct.  If the meds work for you and you find you are back to a more normal level of reactions and coping with stress, think of that as a winning situation definitely NOT a failure.  If, with your doctors confirmation, you do decide to reduce the dose or stop taking it, it's terribly important to do this very slowly to allow your body to readjust and not shock your system suddenly.  Unfortunately us 'tough old cookies' are often the last people who will accept we sometimes can't cure ourselves of illness just by being tough smile
    • Posted

Oh bless you Eggmond ..... don't ever think you're letting anyone down.  This illness would bring the strongest man in the world to his knees.  Remember this is an illness, it's not a sign of weakness, and many people can't deal with this by themselves.

Exactly what Loxie says too - people have to take meds for many illnesses, and taking something for depression is by no means failing.  You've said that you're already feeling more like yourself than you were 6-7 weeks ago, and that's brilliant.  This medication will go on working more and more, helping you feel even better.  Most people try and cope with this illness as you do at first, and usually find they need help.

This illness doesn't care who it's victims are either - age, race, wealth, sex, strength ........ it's not fussy who it chooses.  If the scene is set, it'll creep up and suddenly bite you.

This illness isn't just of the mind, it has a physical effect on the brain and body, altering hormones, neurones, chemicals and causing so much physical, emotional and mental unrest, each feeding off the other.  Breaking the cycle is very difficult, but medication helps put this right.

I'll post a link next - it's a great read about depression and SSRI's.  

And you are a tough old cookie ........ this illness requires us to have incredible strength to battle it.  It's a strength I never knew I had.

K xx

• Posted

Kate

Your'e a star thank you I'll give it a go and c if I can find it

Eggmond

• Posted

Hi Kate,

"It's difficult posting links on this site, as they don't often get published."

I have explained before about posting links but to make it clear please read the link below. I have approved your original post with the link in and deleted the second post. Trying to bypass the moderation/rules as you have been here is more likely to result in them not getting published and/or posts being deleted. If you do not want to wait for moderation then use the Private Message service to send the link to any other user while the post is in moderation. The second link below is about messaging if anyone doesn't know about this.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

was just going to reply about messaging links to individuals and the moderator got there before me.  If ever you wish to send a specific weblink to someone, just send them a private message with it and it won't get deleted.  As the moderator has pointed out it's policy not to permit commercial links in the open forums.  Hope that helps smile
    • Posted

Alan

Please could you tell me what the process for using the PM process. I would like to know in case I wish to contact anyone in the future

Please forgive me if it is a simple process I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a relic with the internet....I still remember the slide rule and log rythms...lol

Regards

Eggmond

• Posted

Alan please forget the request Ive sent you Ive found out how to do it. The clue being in the message you sent to Kate...silly me...

Eggmond

• Posted

Thank you Alan for kindly pointing this out again.  Not intentionally trying to bypass moderation, and didn't think of private messaging someone.  As links don't get displayed I merely and quite innocently just tried to tell someone where to find a helpful website.  Posting links I understood was to avoid advertising and spam, but writing a link as I did doesn't display anything of the sort - just words. I just being a kindly soul.

Regards

K

• Posted

I could go on but can only "ditto" what loxie has said!.. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.