Citalopram 4 Weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

HELP! I have been depressed, major crying spell on WEEK 4! First three weeks I had 20 mg.. Got diagnosed with OCD last week, and ever since then 40 mg.. but still having depressive episodes and MAJOR ocd.. What do I do/expect? I am thin so shouldn't this work?? Need help

Been dealing with this for months. I need relief.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Side effects occur because the med creates an imbalance of neurotransmitters that the brain and nervous system must adapt to by remodeling - adding or subtracting receptors (an oversimplification).  This is why they always say it will take four or more weeks for a med to start working.   Raising the dose before the system has fully adapted to the current dose will only increase side effects!  

It may be that this isn't the drug for you!  

Is the OCD a new symptom or have you always had it?  I would ask your doc about lowering the dose and sitting tight for a solid four months before making any more changes.

• Posted

It all started with depression, then rolled into anxiety/OCD. I had the OCD before starting the meds. I constantly feel like the meds aren't working due to the fact that I am still obsessed and researching constanly to reassure myself I'm OK.
    • Posted

I made an error - solid four weeks, not months!  So, either the med is wrong for you or the side effects are worsening your OCD while you adjust, with it settling down once you have adjusted.  I still think these danged doctors raise the dosage too high too fast, causing a lot worse side effects than need be.  It may be due to pressure from the patient because of complaints that things aren't better (or are still bad).

Discuss with your doctor but perhaps go back to 20 and wait four weeks to see how things settle out.

• Posted

Kaleigh

4 weeks is very early days, and agree with Betsy in thinking 40mg is quite high this early on.  These meds will give you side effects to start with, which includes worse anxiety, but they will ease off in time.  It took me 3-4 months to start feeling better on 20mg.  You should gauge your progress in months, not weeks.  Each month should be counted as a week ...... so 4 weeks could mean 4 months.

Dont be too disheartened by the time it takes though - you can't hurry recovery.  Upping your dose won't quicken it up either.  These meds take time, so the best you can do is take your meds, keep persevering, wait ..... and things will start improving in time.

I know it's uncomfortable and we all want to be well now ..... but patience is needed so these meds work for you.

You'll get there xxx

• Posted

I've had NO side effects pretty much the whole time. Right now I am still feeling scared. 

• Posted

It will get better!!!! I have OCD/Anxiety with depression. Been on meds 2 months now, feel 90% better! Just give it time. I remember being where you were at. Thinking this sh*t don't work! But it does!!!
    • Posted

Would you say your symptoms are the same as before cit, better, or worse? Are you receiving therapy at the same time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.