Citalopram 40mg - is it safe?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My GP reluctantly increased my citalopram from 30mg to 40mg today but said that this dose wasn't recommended - from looking at various news articles I know that anything over 40mg isn't recommended any more due to the high dose causing possible heart problems but all the articles seem to say 40mg is ok - can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me 40mg straight from 20mg only a couple of months ago. He wasnt reluctant at all. All he really said was that i probably wouldnot notice much difference. And tbh i dont think i really have. 20mg was good for me, so is 40mg but only the tiniest bit better. I suppose it would depend on the person as well.xx
    • Posted

It's strange how GP's differ!  As I said I can only find out from the internet that anything over 40mg is not advised/prescribed anymore but nothing about 40mg being unsafe.
    • Posted

You would find some information out there somewhere about 40mg being unsafe if it was actually unsafe. Just like you have with the 60mg.. Plus, i really doubt your doctor would have even reluctantly prescribed it if he thought there would be anything to worry about.

I would definitly not worry. You could always seek advice from another GP as well if it would make you feel better? I have also found nothing on 40mg being unsafe.xxx

• Posted

Hi Niccik

My gp didn't give me any instructions on increasing my dosage - should I increase gradually or just start taking the 40mg a day?

Many thanks!

• Posted

I was on 20 for a couple of years maybe 3 years and felt that 40 may be better . The French doctor didn't have any hesitation in doubling my dose which I have now been taking for 5 or 6 years. I have heart arrhythmia  as a side issue so I can only assume the doc here was in no way worried about added heart problems.  I agree with niccik 20 and 40 are similar but I think my temper is better on 40 and will not be looking to change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.