Citalopram

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all

i have been back and forth to my doc to with symptoms that have convinced me that I have cancer. My doctors booked me in for a fasting blood test which all came back fine, as the doctor said if I had cancer there would be some kind of adnomality in my bloods! I am now on my 16th day of taking citalopram and omg. I still have no appetite and very bad tummy . No I am telling myself that I do have cancer and that's why I have no appetite . I feel so unwell and have informed my doctor and they tell me to keep taking my tablets. Can anyone else relate to this experience. X

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had no appetite at all when I started the citalopram and it happened again when I increased the dose slightly. 

Your appetite will gradually come back but it can take between 3-6 weeks before you notice it.  The good news is that you are responding well to the medication. The side effects prove the tablets are doing something and in time the good effects will far outweigh the bad.  I'm afraid most of us go through what you are experiencing and the increased anxiety in the early weeks makes you think the meds are not working.  Again, this is perfectly normal to feel much worse at the beginning.  It is very disheartening when you are going through it because you feel nothing is working.  Believe me when I say the tablets WILL work and you will feel so much better in the long run.  Please stick with it.  I know it's horrendous and upsetting to go through the bad bits.  I used to nibble on banana and drink as much as I could - water, tea, coffee, juice - anything to get the fluids.  Bananas are the best food for mental health problems. That is where the saying "going bananas " comes from.  When people in olden times had a nervous breakdown or mental health issues they were said to have "gone bananas" which meant they had gone to a hospital or asylum,where they fed the patients bananas which were known for their positive effects.   However I would eat whatever you can. Potato crisps, plain biscuits, fruit, anything to get nutrition. Failing that a tonic like Metatone is good when you can't eat so well.

hope this helps and you soon start to feel the good effects 

take care 

• Posted

did the lack of appetite come after you started citalopram. As i lost my appetite a little due to depression, then more so from the citaloopram, I

could only eat the minimum, but at about 8 weeks appetite back and i wish it wasnt now i have to exercise to maintain weight. Cheers & first and foremost be kind to yourself

• Posted

It took me about a month to get my apetite back. Even after the other side effects were gone, meal times were difficult. Health anxiety has been a big part of my anxiety issues ever since a traumatic surgery experience. You're not alone in that. All I can say is to try to take good care of yourself. Self advocate at the doctor's office, but also listen to them when they check you and say that you're healthy. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.