Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm 23 and around 4 weeks ago I began having severe anxiety and panic attacks - from built up stress I think (was also meant to start a new job 3 weeks ago but I've only been in a few days, and I'm not sure it's for me) my doctor told me to have a few weeks off yesterday too.

I started on 10mg citalopram 3 days ago & have been prescribed lorazepam too (I find these just make me tired, but don't take my anxiety away so not very helpful!)

Basically I feel AWFUL... To the point I just want to give up and die.

I am SEVERLY anxious 24/7, haven't been able to leave my house since I've started on these (and barely left my house before anyway due to anxiety) I am being sick throughout the day, no appetite (even the thought of food makes me physically sick) I've managed a few grapes and half a bowl of soup in 3 days, another thing to worry about!!

I've only read bad stories how this doesn't get rid of anxiousness. And as mine is so severe I'm feeling negative about things.

I just want my life back 😢

I've panicked so much I've been ringing every possible helpline every hour - no panic/ Samaritans/ 111/ mental health crisis team. I felt like I need someone to come round and help me but they've done nothing.

I feel so lonely and scared 😢 I live with my boyfriend who is supportive but I feel guilty he has to put up with this.

Please help 😢

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to give the citalopram a little longer you never know it might start to work soon I know they have to get in your system first. If you can't take them your doctor can try you on something else, I've tried sertraline and it send me into the biggest panic attacks I've ever had so I'm reluctant to try anything else but got to go next week and get sorted. Had 2 abnormal ecgs last week with 2 different abnormalities but been told I'm fine and no further tests have sent me into a frenzy I suffer with ectopic heart beats anyway so now I've had 2 abnormal ecgs I'm finding it hard to cope! My boyfriend was helpful with me at first now he is just fed up with me, I wish I had got help sooner this has been going on since July last year, it's good that your getting help I guess it's trial and error to find something that suits you, try and relax and know it's only anxiety you'll get better soon smile x
    • Posted

Yeah I'm definitely going to keep trying it. When I rang 111 yesterday the doctor told me to maybe not take it today and to carry on with the lorazepam for one day then take the citalopram tomorrow but I took it anyway as I just want it to hurry up and work!

Oh that's awful sad I can tell my boyfriend is beginning to get fed up with it too.

Have you had any CBT or talking therapy? I'm on a long waiting list for it sad

• Posted

Your best off taking it as it could start to work soon and the withdrawal might be worse! There are only a few people that understand us I have bad health anxiety and think my baby might have an ear infection which is causing me a lot of worry sad I'm having CBT once a week I've had 5 sessions and can't say it's helping a lot rolleyes but I know it isn't for everyone! I just need to know my heart is ok and I might be able to relax x
    • Posted

Yes that's what I thought so I took it anyway! Did some meditation earlier, feel slightly calmer.

I've been doing CBT online and I've found it useless so far too!

Oh bless you I can't imagine feeling like this and having to look after a baby as well. I hope you both start to feel better soon xx

• Posted

You can do it.  A lot of us had to wait the 6-8 weeks that it takes for SSRI antidepressent medications to work.  You can do it.  and don't forget to discuss with your doctor that lorazapam is not working, get it upped, possible take a couple times a day.  Just check with you doctor and explain what your dealing with.
    • Posted

Sometimes talking with someone, a counselor that knows CBT and shows you how to apply it to your thinking and feelings.  Some of us need guidance.  For example.  I am having a thought, "I can't deal with my emotions with having anxiety, and looking foolish in front of people"  This is negative thinking.  When in fact, I have learned to cope some of the times with my anxiety.  I am looking at things "all or nothing thinking.  Nothing is all bad, nor is it all good.  Life is good and life has it's bad moments.  Our thinking really affects our outlook on lifes dealings. It is important to learn to talking positively when we talk to ourselves negatively.  You may benefit from talking to a mental health professional?
    • Posted

Hi Michael thanks for your reply.

My doctor rang me this morning & has asked me to go in at 11. She said 'because we're not making any progress'. I've only been on citalopram for 5 days now so surely its too early to tell? Im worried she'll put me on soemthing else or up my dose and ill feel worse? I was advised to take half to one tablet up to twice a day for the lorazapam. but i just take it when i need it badly as i really don't want to end up relying on it! 

I am on a waiting list for CBT, other than that I've tried ringing everywhere i can to try and get some help (councelling etc), had no luck and i can't afford for a private one.

• Posted

Well you have only been on medication for 5 days.  It can take up to 2 weeks to start working, and 6-8 weeks to fully work.  I wish you the best with counseling, it will be helpful.  But remember that counselors give us homework, and we need to practice it! You can try CBT on the internet for free.  Go to anxietybcdotcom it is an app that will teach you how to manage anxiety.
  • Posted

I am really surprised the lorazapam is not working.  You may need to visit your doctor again, and explain the dose your on is not working and/or have it taken 2 times a day possibly?  I had to ask my doctor to do this until my SSRI was working fully. Wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.