citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i suffer with severe anxiety and was wondering if anyone here has has experience with citalopram,  I was prescribed this by my doctor today and am due to start it in the morning. I am very nervious about taking any new drugs, also does it  take long to work

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Normally anxiety meds take a few weeks before it starts to kick in. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and my advice to you is to try and handle it naturally. I also have anxiety issues but I tend to cope with it but not to the point where I have to be dependent on meds. I have a tool which can help you. Whenever you feel the anxiety is going out of whack just close your eyes and tell your anxiety to give you its best shot as if you are going to step into the ring.After a few seconds you will realize in your mind the anxiety subsiding. You face your anxiety as you face your fears because in the end always remember this, there is nothing there. Good luck and hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Thank you NY73, I really don't want to go down the medication road, tried before and felt worse.  If I could just convinve my head that my heart is fine I know I could win this battle.what can you reccommend to take naturally 
  • Posted

I've been suffering with undiagnosable side pains for 3 1/2 years which caused me great anxiety.  I started taking Citalopram  about 2 years ago and it has been a game changer for me. My pharmacist said it would just make me a bit happier.  It's done that and more.  I still have the pain but find that I cope with it - and anything else that comes up - so much better!  It did take over two weeks to get over the side effects but I'm so glad that I stuck with it!
  • Posted

thank you jan91954, it's nice to hear some positive feedback about citalopram, can you elaborate on the side effects and how long they lasted 
    • Posted

Seems to me that the side effects lasted just a few days over two weeks, because I was worried and called my pharmacist who told me to hang in there for a little longer.  As I remember, it was mostly nausea and diarrhea (brain was a little fuzzy back then because of anxiety).  Believe me, it was well worth the rough time.  I really don't suffer from anxiety anymore and hope that it works that well for you.  I was warned by acquaintances of all sorts of dire consequences including horrible pain and even suicide.  So glad that I didn't listen.
  • Posted

I was on it for about 18months, seemed ok, you need to be on it for a while before it has any effect. I didn't seem to have any problems with it, you have to come off it gradually. If you haven't had a blood test recently it might be useful as I found out I had an underactive thyroid which causes all sorts of problems including anxiety and depression and was able to come off the Citalopram. 

I also had some counselling organised by GP as I was keen to sort out a problem I had with my son having been very ill.

Good luck.

Sheila.

• Posted

Sorry, computer wouldn't let me finish...anyhow, blood tests every six months show no problem with 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.