citalopram

Posted , 12 users are following.

i have been taking this medication for only 1 day and i feel like throwing up, i have diarrhea and just feel terrible, i cannot be at work and take this medication. I dont know how any of you guys can do this for weeks or months till it gets better? Help.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

diane33376,

Clearly this medicine does not agree with you. I would stop taking it immediately and return to my GP if this happened to me.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

Bob when you started taking this Medicine did you have any side affects?
    • Posted

Do be completely honest, it did nothing to me at all diane. I took it for two weeks and I might as well have been taking gum drops. So I just stopped taking it.

Not all medicine works you know. This is not the first time I have had this happen.

Hope you feel better soon diane

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

Hi Bob, You need to give SSrIs at leats a month before you see an improvement they build up in your natural serotonin levels 2 weeks is too soon. smile

• Posted

2 wks is waaay to soon to tell if it works or not.
    • Posted

The GP said it would take 2 weeks before I would know it was working but if you think it would take longer, far enough Zio10.
    • Posted

Well in my long travels of Anti-depressant(!6 of them. On 7th) an working with a PSYCHIATRIST not a GP (who really does not understand these meds or studied them specifically or depression/anxiety), these meds can take anywhere fr 4-6 wks to work. Everyone expects them to work rt away, an not true. Even the leaflet info sheets in with the meds says that. Im on day 20 of 20mg Citolopram who is cousin to escitlopram (Lexapro)with the histamine taken out. I learned that fr my PSYCHIATRIST. So it doesnt make you so sedated an blah. I'm giving this a chance. Till 6 wks. Iv come to the end of meds to take. The body has to adjust to this new chemical an 2 wks is two fast. Unless your extremely fortunate. So until you see a psychiatrist I wouldn't go by what a general practitioner says about psychiatric meds.

• Posted

Hi Diane, You will be experiencing side effects to the serotonin uptake meds, this is only interim. hnag in there its worth waiting the medication has a huge success rate in people. Take care.
  • Posted

Awe feel bit better to know Im not the only one feeling awful side effects.  I'm on Day 17 and my anxiety has been through the roof.  Hoping this settles down soon.  Im on 10 mg.  Felt so many weird feelings, worse than how I was before starting citolopram.  Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Glenda,

I'm a little ahead of you on 10 mg. I'm on day 19. I hope we feel better soon! I'm here if you need to talk about symptoms/side effects!

• Posted

Hi Diane, I started taking 10mg of citalopram yesturday. Not a good day at work at all. Had to leave to get checked up at the hospital after a panic attack. I was weirdly able to go to music gig later on and although i felt quite odd i didn't have any major issues. I drove there too.

I've come home and can't sleep. My thoughts are a million a minute and it's like a rush for 10-20-30 minutes before i come to again. my thoughts are weird and down when my eyes are closed.

Not looking forward to the next dose this morning to be honest and will probably call in sick for work which i didn't want to do.

How are you getting on? Better i hope.

• Posted

Try taking at night. Also Unisome helps with insomnia an no interactions. But check with pharmacist first of coarse. I take it now an have taken it with Zoloft. Some people half their dose. An take half in am& half in pm. If pill is scored it can be halfed. I was 10mg for 7 days now on day 20 on 20mg. Iv been forgetting things honestly. Anxiety has increased last wk. Appetite up big time. Iv gained wt! I dont want to! Bad back! First i took it at night, thought it was keeping me up (my anxiety was!)then switched to morning. No go! Now back to night. I also have Klonapine (anti-anxiety med) for when needed. These meds do increase anxiety, its normal. Exercise, anti-anxiety meds can help until it calms. But remember after each increase it will be like starting over.

Goodluck

?Zio

• Posted

Hi Diane,

Are you feeling any better on the meds? I sure hope you are!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.