Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 33 and my wife and I have had our first baby. I’ve been struggling for the last couple months now and been seeing a councillor. My Dr has just put me on citalopram for post natal depression

Most days I feel like I have let my wife and child down. And that I will never shake this anxiety and depressed state!

Sometimes I wonder how do I gain my life and my confidence back to be the dad and husband I want to be!?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I k ow it seems like it will.never get better right now but it will. I find citalopram a massive help but you have to give it time and deal with the side effects. When I was really bad I had diazepam to help. It's not ideal but it did get me through the darkest of times. I have been on citalopram 7 weeks now and I'm doing much better. Also have some counselling coming up to go along with the meds. You have to ride it out but keep telling yourself you will get through it and come out of the other side. Rest as much as you can....not easy with a baby I know!! Find a distraction that helps you. Keeping your mind and body busy will also help. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks joanne58498

I was hoping this forum would give me some positive replies to help me get through this.

Much appreciated!

• Posted

Pleasure. Stick with it. Will always be here if you need to talk anything through.
    • Posted

HI Joanne.

Do you mind me asking how long the citalopram took before it started working for you?

Every website tells me something different. I am a week and a half in.

I have Lorazepam like you said for the dark times which is everyday at the moment but they only gave me 20 pills to get me through?

• Posted

Hi buddy,

Everyone is different but I hope that you are feeling the benefit & things are improving for you. Sometimes medication can take a few weeks to take effect & the waiting can be very frustrating. Try not to be too hard on yourself & allow yourself this time to adjust. Don't look back & think you have lost something of your old self. Your young family is an exciting new chapter in your life, a learning process for sure as you & your wife take steps forward as parents. You must look after yourself too though. Take care & let us know how the journey is going for you. Wishing you all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.