Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a long time, but it seems my anxiety as taken hold once again. Anyway, is anyone on citalopram 20mg? Does it cause cardiac arrest? There's a few people I know who as been asked to go in for a ecg as there's concerns of it causing heart problems etc? I'm now fully in panic mood. Xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There's a small risk of any antidepressant over 40mg to cause abnormal heart beats and maaaaaaybe be linked toward problems down the line, but citalopram is no longer administered above this to stay within safe parameters.

Drs would not prescibe it if there was a high risk of causing cardiac arrest but as with any medication there is risk and so people get ecgs to monitor it.

Lets just say I've been on citolopram twice in my life, both 20mg once when i was young for a while and now for the last year. My mum has been on it for the last 20 odd years. Both still fine. xx

• Posted

Hi caz i think u know me and answered me in my post. I hv heart problem. Feel heavy presure on heart. Feel like heart is stoping or arresting. My cardiologist send me to phycho dr. He gave me citalopramcitalopram 20,mg in morning and in 20/at night.

Plz tell me is it save for me. Because i m in hodpital due to heart problem every day. My heart can bear any load.

• Posted

I'm sorry but i cannot guarantee you that any medication will not have side effects. As I'm not a member of the medical profession myself, i go by the advice of doctors i see.

All i would say is the medical professional who has prescribed you the medication will have done so with the understanding of your medical history and so believes that it should be safe for you to take.

As you have spent so much money on hospital and seen so many drs at this point, is it really going to make you feel any worse then you are now? Or could it help you overcome this issue? You won't know unless you try, but it is your choice to make.

• Posted

hi jenna

i have just started citrapram 10mg

switched from sertraline

i have been on cit for years never had heart problems

i was on citrapram for 5 yrs then last july woke up with panic

so gp switched me to sertraline

been on that for 9 months never helped me

so they switched me back to citrapram today started on 10mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.