Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

i am new to citalopram and petrified of the side effects it may give me. i have been given 10mg to try for anxiety and at this stage not 1 has made it out the box. what side effects are common and will they stop me going to work or carrying out my normal day.

thanks for your help, hope everyone is feeling well.

xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi alison, If you a bit hesitant why not try cutting one in half then take it early evening, that way there will be a lot less chance of it affecting you at work.

• Posted

Hi. 10mg is a low dose. The initial side effects, for me, were insomnia, being "in my head", and feeling jittery and wired. But these side effects went away within a few weeks. You might feel a little dizzy or have a headache or nausea too at first.

I started at a higher dose.....like 20mg. So, it is good that you are starting out at a lower dose. Each time you raise the dosage, you will feel some side effects initially. Everyone is a bit different, so it is hard to say exactly what you will feel. For me, not being able to fall asleep was the hardest side effect. But, it definitely went away and I had many years on the medication with no problems at all and it helped me a lot. I took 40mg for a long time.

If your quality of life is so bad and you have tried everything else.....taking Citalopram might really help you with your anxiety/depression. I understand how scary it is to start a new medication. This drug also takes time to start working....so, you have to make a decision and commit to it.

I wish you well.

• Posted

I've recently started taking 10mg citalopram and im not in a position where i had to get up for work. The symptoms can be different for everyone from what im aware of.

10mg is the lowest dose and i personally experienced insomnia, a loss of appetite for a day or two and being very tired at times (i've had trouble sleeping for many years though) but other than that it personally wasn't very bad, if you read the leaflet you were given with the citalopram it will list all of the possible side effects etc.. it's abit worrying reading it but keep in mind you're not going to have alot. (especially on a low dose)

You can experience ups and downs nothing you wouldn't have experienced in life already but don't let that worry you.

If you feel comfortable talking about it ask your doctor if they could just walk you through all of the possible side effects and have them explain to you the effect it will have on you.

Alcohol can interfere/enhance the nervous system side effects of citalopram such as dizziness and drowsiness something i wasn't even informed about and learned the hard way so i'd recommend avoiding alcohol

• Posted

HI Alison - i'm a week into taking 10mg citalopram. I'm happy to report that i've not experienced any significant side effects thus far. A bit of a headache now and then, but nothing major. I've also had pretty vivid dreams, but again nothing too worrying. I'm not obviously feeling less anxious or depressed yet, and although I've been able to go to work etc, I've also made a bit of extra space for some self-care at home too. I hope you have an easy ride and don't have side effects as you get started.

• Posted

Everyone is different. I am on day 18 of Citalopram for mild anxiety.

My side effects during the first week or so were sweating at night, feeling tired and loss of libido. The side effects have gone now, apart from the loss of libido.

These are not miracle pills by any means but I am noticing gradual positive changes in my overall mood and general wellbeing.

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.