Citalopram - About to tale my first one

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, im currently 22 and got diagnosed with GAD and OCD about 3 years ago and suffer everyday with intrusive thoughts and worrying about anything and everything. I got prescribed citalopram at 20mg about 2 week ago but have been to scared to take them because the side effects can make you feel worse, i didnt want that because im already feeling at my lowest. I gave in with feeling this way and have decided im going to have my first one tonight. I have read a lot of positive reviews on this medication and some negative but only due to side effects, can anyone tell me what to expect with in the first week etc? And how long the side effects last or can last? Im terrified to take these as im scared what could happen if i feel any worse than what i already do. I could really do with some support and some positive things to hear about this medication etc, thanks guys i really appreciate it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram for about 6 months now. The first 2 weeks were the worst for me as far as side effects go. I had heightened anxiety for which my doctor prescribed Propranolol 10mg. that I could take up to 3 times a day if needed. I also had slight nausea but not as bad as what I have heard that some people have. I mean it didn't really stop me from eating or anything maybe just made me not eat quite as much. I had looser than normal stools but not diarrhea. I also had some on and off dizziness and increased sweating. The sweating is the only thing I am still really experiencing at this point. Please know that once you start the medication it will take a while for it to start working and is not a quick fix. You will know that it is starting to do its job when you begin having some good days along with the bad. In the beginning I might have 1 or 2 good days then 2 or 3 bad ones but learned from this forum that was normal and that it meant the medication was starting to do its thing. I'm not trying to scare you or anything I am only telling you this so that you can know what to expect and will not give up on the medication thinking that it isn't working when actually is. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help or encouragement as you get started on your journey with Citalopram.

• Posted

Hi dale ive been on this medication for 9 months now only on 10 mg and the first 6 weeks were the worse nothing i couldnt manage but loss if appetite not sleeping very well and just felt total rubbish it does get better thou so hang in in there if u can here if you wanna chat x
  • Posted

hi i understand exactly what your going through i was the same when i was first described them like you i also am a bit ocd and i also worry about everything and any thing i found taking them is a lot better than not unfortunatley the first fornight can be hard going but not always for everyone they can make you feel over anxious or over happy even you may pee more than normal but overall i wouldnt be without them now any side effects dont last and once you get used to them you will feel the benifit im certain i still have problems but not as bad as i was i hope this helps a little goodluck and remember your not on your own although it sometimes feels like it!
  • Posted

Dale,

You got this. It's going to be rough, but stick it out and you will be happy you did. Give it a solid month. Trust me. You will be glad you did. Need anything hit me up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.