citalopram advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, ihave never done this before but found this site on google, and there seems to be a lot of good advice and help. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. my boyfriend left his prescription for citalopram 10mg lying around and i googled it as i had no idea he was taking anti depressants. weve only been going out for 6months and im really worried about him. i dont know why he wouldnt tell me about it. i was wondering if anyone else hadnt told their family and friends and is it really serious? he never seems down or depressed, infact the opposite and it kind of scares me. Any advice and help would be great, i would really like to talk to him about it but as i have been nosy feel he might get angry. Please help. Thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

To Rachel342

Please dont feel any disappointment regarding your boyfriend. He probably hasnt told you because to him it is not such a big deal. If you had a persistent headache you would have paracetamol around. Your man has a depression or anxiety - he sounds like he is coping with it very well and doesnt want to bother you with the ins and outs of it. Please dont worry - the medication is a sure sign that he recognises he has had a problem and has taken steps to deal with it - good for him! If you are concerned just say to him - oh i noticed this prescription of yours - what is it and are you ok. If he wants to tell you - he will. If not, dont worry - it really isnt a problem. Good luck to you both

• Posted

Hi, I am also taking cit but I have not taold my wife about it, due to a very unsettling experience which was effecting my family life I decided to visit the doctor to sort this out. I am currently on 20 mg and as your boyfriend is on 10mg I would imagine his doc must have deemed his problem to be relatively mild. The y are nothing to be scared of, lots of people suffer in silence so it is good he has done something to rectify this.
  • Posted

I wouldn't worry he will tell you when he's ready I've been on them for over 2 months and have not told my family.
  • Posted

Thankyou so much for your help. I guess i m just being a bit selfish because i want to know why hes taking them. Like you have said he will tell me when hes ready so I just have to trust him. Thankyou all.

Do you not think though that maybe if you told your family that they will support you and help you with what your going through? support and love has got to help?! smile

• Posted

Hi Rachel342

10mg is a very low dose of Citalopram and if this is controlling your boyfriend's enxiety or depression then that's great. The drug is doing what it's meant to - controlling the condition so that he can get on with his life.

Obviously I don't know him or his medical history but from my own experience, it can be very hard for a man to admit that something is wrong and you need help. Particularly when it relates to mental health issues. The expectation in society is often, I'm afraid, that men should be able to cope and \"snap out if it\".

That makes them very wary of showing anything that might be perceived as being \"weak\" - and that can include friends and family. It can feel like a shameful secret. I was terrified of admitting the truth of my depression to my family. Ultimately, they have been great but not everyone, sadly, is so fortunate.

Depression and anxiety are very real conditions, however, and your boyfriend has acknowledged that he has a problem and has taken steps to deal with it by speaking to his doctor.

Clearly, you want to help him, so perhaps mention to him that you saw his prescription and that if he wants to talk about it or needs your support then you are there for him. And leave it at that. He may then open up to you. Just give him the time and space to martial his thoughts and explain what he feels.

Good luck and best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.