Citalopram and a beneficial side effect - Pain relief !

Posted , 8 users are following.

I wason citalopram for anxiety and depression since 2011. In December 2013 I decided that I felt strong enough to cope without taking the citalopram. So New Years Eve I started reducing my dosage from 20 mg. I did ok it was a little like giving up smoking in so far as irritablity was a problem but I got through it and have now been Cit free since the end of Jan.

However the sting to this tale is that I had been suffering from sciatica since 2007 due to a couple of discs I had slipped. By coming off the Citalopram caused the pain to come back with a vengance. I have been suffering with increasing back pain since Jan and ended up needing a MRI in May to diagnose the problem. I  now require surgery to relieve the pain. It is either that or go back on citalopram as that im told will stop the pain. So you see Citalopram also acts as a painkiller. It isnt really that surprising now I think of it as it blocks out most other senses too so why not pain as well?

Just thought I'd let you all know because I would have never made the connection myself until my GP said when I told him of my back pain increasing since stopping the Cit "Thats to be expected" I wish in a way id have known as being faced with back on the cit or an op is hardly much of a choice is it?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had the back op and was a success. Spinal fusion L5. No more Sciatica smile

Still off the Citalopram now a year later.

To those of you who read back I hope you have as much success as I have . Citalopram was the crutch I needed in order to get myself back on track.

Good luck to all and this forum is a great help to many people just who are too scared to bother their GP but need answers to how they are feeling...

• Posted

Hi Fitch.

I am currently going through a similar experience. Have you recovered ok?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.