citalopram and antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone know what the best antibiotic is to take with citalopram for a skin infection that doesn't have any interactions?

My doctor has given me flucloxacillin but I looked it up and the interaction with citalopram is severe. They have started to make me feel giddy and generally unwell. Many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cherr,

I have had antibiotics whilst on Cita and, fortunately, no problems. I have had Flucloxacillin before however, it was before Cita so cannot comment, sorry!

One would hope that as your GP knows you and has already precribed Cita then, if there was to be any possbile problems mixing the two your GP should have known. I would get straight back to your GP demand an emergency appointment as your symptoms are obviously of concern. If your GP does not know a lot about sticking plasters for the brainĀ and SSRIs in general you do need to talk to a GP that does and without hesitation.

Let us know how you get on an any other issues we should all be aware of when mixing prescriptions (if there are any).

Regards and best of luck!

David

• Posted

Interaction between medicines is often picked up by pharmacist. That's why get all prescription s filled at the same pharmacy
    • Posted

Good point! We do get ours from the same pharmacy and it is only since being ill that I've taken prescribed meds on a regular basis, but that is worth bearing in mind.

Cheers!

David

• Posted

Many thanks everyone for replying. The prescription was picked up at the same pharmacy as my regular medication. I have been taking 500mg 4 times a day for 5 days which seems like a high dose. I have 2 days to go but my infection seems to have gone so I am going to stop taking them. If my infection comes back I'll see my doctor again and make a point of querying this with him. I used the drug interaction website to find this out and will do so before taking anything else.

Thank you everyone.

• Posted

One thing I'll say is that whenever I have had to take a course of antibiotics I do as recommended and that is to complete the course, otherwise it may be a waste of time and money. Especially if you have to go through the same or similar all over again.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

David

• Posted

Yes, you are absolutely right, I know I should finish the prescribed dose. Perhaps feeling like a zombie for 2 more days won't harm. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

• Posted

I am a mental health nurse on citalopram and dont know of any issues with fluclox or amox.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.